Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753500 Members
4318 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ftp from windows client: password on title bar!

Francesco Sarno
Frequent Advisor

ftp from windows client: password on title bar!

Hi all,
i have a probelm with ftp.I have same ws alpha (with 5.1A,5.1B) and when i open a ftp session from a pc windows towards ws (by browser internet explorer) on the title bar i see my password!
There are same things that i must change on the ftp servers.

Thanks a lot,
Francesco
5 REPLIES 5
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ftp from windows client: password on title bar!

That's really strange. I suspect this is not something that is caused by the Tru64 UNIX server. Do you not see the same problem when connecting to other ftp servers?

Perhaps you should consider using PuTTY. It really is an excelent SSH client for Windows, which also allows you to transfer files. PuTTY can be found here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
Francesco Sarno
Frequent Advisor

it happens also with same ws ibm.I known putty but in my office for ftp service we must work only with IE...

Thank you.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

IE is not a real FTP client it only supports FTP within the URL like all other webbrowsers. So please use a real ftp client like the one delivered with windows (ftp command from commandline) or use another real ftp client like wsftp.

Due to the restrictions of IE all URL informations will be posted on the title bar of the window or within the given ftp-URL. That is not a bug it is a feature due to the nature of the software: it is a webbrowser nothing else or do you use MS-Word to create webpages (of course there are some people out doing that ;-) ).

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Francesco Sarno
Frequent Advisor

thank you Ralph
Govind_3
Regular Advisor

You have a Old IE probably IE5, This is a known standard bug, which has been resolved in thelater versions. It has nothing to do with TRU64.
Goodluck
Govind