Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to add a disk!

SOLVED
Go to solution
leyearn
Regular Advisor

how to add a disk!

now i want to extend swap space
but there is no free partition
i have to add a new disk!
what should i do to from adding a disk to biullding a swap sapce on the new disk?
5 REPLIES
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: how to add a disk!

it depend on your version. It is important to create a new device or to reboot to create it automatically.

Using swapon -v to add it to the existing one during runtime. Depending on your version you must add a statement to /etc/sysconfigtab or within /etc/fstab.

PS: it is important to specify the os-version, otherwise we can give only a guess what you are using.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

the whole procedure is described within the Administration Guide which is online on the documentation CD or available on paper.
leyearn
Regular Advisor

my system is alpha system 4100
an my os is 4.0D
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

so first create a disklabel on your disk by using the command disklabel (only if not using a partition already exists)

second use the command swapon to add the disk on the fly.

third duplicate the line containing swap within the /etc/fstab, replacing swap1 by swap2.

verify using swapon -a
leyearn
Regular Advisor

to Ralf Puchner

thank you very much