Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to change the login (Welcome msg) in TRU64

SOLVED
Go to solution
Francisco Cruz_1
Occasional Visitor

how to change the login (Welcome msg) in TRU64

Hi:

how can i change the login welcome message in a TRU64 server, and to show date and time.

Thank You!

fcruz
7 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: how to change the login (Welcome msg) in TRU64

Francesco,

the text is in /etc/motd but it is a text only. Date and time you could place in /etc/profile of in the users .profile

greetings,

Michael
Francisco Cruz_1
Occasional Visitor

Thank You Michael. I was hoping there was an easier way so that I do not have to modify the .profile for every user.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

As answerred before, /ect/motd is the place for static messages.

For dynamic messages, for all, just stick the processing in system profile: /etc/profile !?

per 'man ksh':

"read from /etc/profile and then from either .profile in the current directory or $HOME/.profile"

hth,
Hein.
Francisco Cruz_1
Occasional Visitor

Heuvel:

Thank you!

You are right on the money.
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Also don't forget that some users might not be using a login shell that reads /etc/profile. The content of /etc/motd will always be shown to everyone that logins to the system. /etc/profile is only effective for users that use bash, sh, ksh for their login shell. For example users that use csh or tcsh do not execute /etc/profile, but rather /etc/csh.login and /etc/csh.cshrc.

HTH,
Ross
Manish PATHAK_2
Regular Advisor

As your Initial problem is of welcome message i think the best way is by the motd only further .profile editing is the alternate for it

the solution suggested to edit it in /etc/profile amd then giving the referrence in the $home/.profile.

Cheers
Manish
Francisco Cruz_1
Occasional Visitor

Thank you All!