hwmgr & tape drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

hwmgr & tape drive

Dear All,
System is ES40 running Tru64 Unix V 5.1
I had problems with the tape drive which shows in the hwmgr -view dev output as /dev/ntape/tape0 and tape1.
While the system was running I replaced the whole tape drive and when I check the hwmgr output, it changed to tape2 and tape3.

My question is, how can I change this back to tape0 and tape1?

I did delete the new tape files in the /dev/ntape and /dev/tape directories and did the dn_setup command but it creathed the tape2 and tape 3 files again.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Peter Leddy_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: hwmgr & tape drive

Hi,

Have you looked at the System Administration Guide under the section Administering Hardware(Chapter 5), it gives details about managing hardware and replacing failed devices.

It is here - http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51_HTML/ARH9FCTE/TITLE.HTM

HTH,

Peter
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Never handle V5.1 storage device special files with commands like cp, rm and mv !

The command to use is dsfmgr :

dsfmgr -m tape2 tape0
dsfmgr -m tape3 tape1

-j-

_JB_
Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Mohamed,

If the system is still up since replacing the drive(s), and the devices show to have a Driver Owner non-zero (4), then "dsfmgr -m" will fail with "(error) 95 cannot start operation" or " ... device is active".

To see the Driver Owner status use "hwmgr -show scsi" and see if the tape0 or 1 device is listed with a Driver Owner of 4 or 0. If 0 then delete the device using the SCSI ID "hwmgr -delete scsi -did {SCSI_ID}", may have to do this command 2 times on V5.1, and then use the "dsfmgr -m {new} {old}" command. Otherwise, you should be able to use "dsfmgr -e {old} {new}" if the device is still active.

-m = move - the target device name must not exist already
-e = exchange - the target device can already exist.

FYI... the Driver Owner status of non-zero means the CAM layer has a Peripheral Driver Owner lock open for the device. If the device fails and leaves the Lock open, only a reboot should be used to clear it. This is where the "dsfmgr -e" command comes in handy.

Hope that helps along with the other postings.

Regards,
Dave Bechtold
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Closing the thread