6849 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: id: cons "/usr/sbin/getty" console console vt100

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Recovery of /usr should be fairly straightforward, assuming you have good backups...

Do you have tapes to restore from ?

Cheers,

Rob
BrianT_1
Regular Advisor

While I don't recall configuring backups (it's been a LOOOONG time since I configured this system - I'm not a Unix admin normally, but I can read and follow instructions and that's how I was able to set the system up originally), I can see on another disk several files that are gzipped tar files, one of whose name is fulluser20oct09.tar.gz, and a couple siimilar files with progressively earlier dates, so I think those are the backups. If you can advise me on how to recover the /usr file system, at least I'll be able to check on the contents of those files.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

OK. First you need to check that all disks are working as normal. It might be that /usr won't mount because the disk has gone bad.

From the SRM prompt (>>>) can you post the output of "show dev" and "show boot*"

If you then boot to single user, "boot -fl s" can you post the output of "ls -lR /etc/fdmns" and "cat /etc/fstab"

Cheers,

Rob
BrianT_1
Regular Advisor

The disk that housed /usr is the book disk and also houses /. /etc/fdmns was fine. /sbin/advfs/advscan, when used on the domain says "nothing to fix". showfdmn says "E_DOMAIN_NOT_ACTIVATED". I used the File Administration Guide to rebuild the files in /etc/fdmns manually, after using dd to make a copy of the partition that represented /usr (rz8g). /etc/fstab was fine. Nothing in it had changed.

After deleting the domain files and recreating them following advice in the File Administration Guide, I was able to finally mount /usr, but it's completely empty. This is not a good thing. If I restore the contents of the partition with dd in the reverse direction with the file I had created with dd before this started, would that restore the files in /usr?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If /usr fails to mount, then I wouldn't expect a dd of it to be any good. You'll have to use your backup. To restore this, you're likely to have to boot up of an OS CD, as (I think) the gunzip utility is usually to be found somewhere under /usr.

So...

1. Boot up off CD, and drop to a Unix shell.
2. Create the relevant symbolic links under /etc/fdmns to be able to mount your existing disks.
3. Use something like "gunzip -c fulluser20oct09.tar.gz | tar tvf - | more" to be view the contents of your backup file.
4. Assuming the /usr file system is in the backup, the restore it with something like "gunzip -c fulluser20oct09.tar.gz | tar xvf - /usr"

Cheers,

Rob
BrianT_1
Regular Advisor

I tried booting off the CD and the first messages I received were "preparing to install". I aborted the process. I don't want to reinstall yet. How can I just mount the CD so I can copy the contents of /usr to the hard drive? Should I even consider that?
Martin Moore
HPE Pro

When the install CD first boots up, there is an option to exit to the Unix shell. In the GUI version of the installer this is on the "File" pull-down menu.

However, if the issue is restoring /usr, why would you boot from CD? If root is OK, you should be able to boot it to single-user and restore /usr from that point. Booting from CD to restore should only be necessary if you're restoring root.

The sysadmin manual has very good directions on restoring filesystems. The 4.0F manual is at http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V40F_HTML/APS2RFTE/TITLE.HTM -- see section 11.4, especially 11.4.1 and 11.4.5. If root is OK, you can skip the first several steps in 11.4.5.

Martin
I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

> Booting from CD to restore should only be
> necessary if you're restoring root.

If the backup files are gzipped, then (I think) you'll need to have a working /usr in order to get the gunzip command, hence why I said to boot off CD.

Cheers,

Rob
Martin Moore
HPE Pro

To Rob: Ah, OK. I missed that detail in the thread and was assuming that the backups were from something like vdump. If the backups are gzipped, than I agree that he'll need to boot off CD to use gunzip.

To the original poster: Don't panic when it says "preparing to install". The installation process gives you plenty of warning before it actually starts writing over disks. Let it boot up, then choose "Exit to shell" from the File menu, then follow the rest of the procedure Rob suggested.
I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

BrianT_1
Regular Advisor

Since, as I said, advscan, when asked to fix the usr_domain domain, says
"Attempting to fix link/dev_count for domain usr_domain. Nothing to fix", and advscan rzg shows "usr_domain. Domain Id 3f6f4c86.0008beb0. Created Mon Sep 22 15:24:54 2003. Domain volumes 1. /etc/fdmns links 1. Actual partitions found rz8g", but mount_advfs -F 16384 usr_domain#usr /usr gives the ""Domain usr_domain not activated - inconsistency detected, usr_domain#usr on /usr: device does not contain a valid ADVFS file system" and showfdmn usr_domain shows "unable to get info for domain usr_domain. error=E_DOMAIN_NOT_AXTIVATED", is there any way to manually resolve the inconsistency by altering some bits somewhere to remove the inconsistency? How can I even find our what the inconsistency is? I think the data in the partition is intact and if there's any way to recover it without having to reconstruct the entire file system, it would be a good thing.