Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lock the window so that the application can run .

Rambo_1
Regular Advisor

lock the window so that the application can run .

The problem is if I closedown the window ,and then the application close too.
Is there method to solve this ?
Can I lock the windown so that keep the applicaton running .
Thanks
5 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: lock the window so that the application can run .

Hi,

can you explain, which kind of application you want to run and what you mean by lock?

Are you using a telnet window or a xwindow?

Michael
vishnu_6
Occasional Visitor

execute your application with "nohup" command to run your application even though u have closed the session .

hope it will help you
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

as vishnu says, you can prevent an application from terminating by using nohup. However only applications, which do not require input from or output to a terminal can be used. When you exit, init will be the father process of this application.

Michael
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Just a little correction to a remark in a previous reply:
Output generated by a command launched via nohup is stored in the file nohup.out created in curent working dir or $HOME.

Johan.

_JB_
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Johan,

thanks for pointing to that. Well, maybe you could even get the input from a file, who knows, never tried. But I still would like to know, what Rambo means with locking. Perhaps securing the screen with a password while the programme runs?

Michael