1751929 Members
5060 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: lpr.log Tru64

Narendra Mistry

lpr.log Tru64

Hi,

I am seeing errors in the lpr.log files on a Tru64 box (note I have only just looked at this issue and server it may have been ocurring for sometime).

The errors observed are:

Feb 9 11:42:48 server lpd[145050]: WARNING -- PrepareFilter: cannot open file errsmpJiAO, printer hp5si2, error Permission denied

Feb 9 11:42:48 server lpd[1114]: ERROR -- hp5si2: reprint error for dfA065.domainname.co.uk

Feb 9 11:42:56 server lpd[145067]: WARNING -- PrepareFilter: cannot open file errsVSspkG, printer hp5m, error Permission denied

Any help would be greatly appreciated on understanding and resolving the issue - note this is my first post on HP Forums.

Kind regards,

Narendra
1 REPLY 1
John Manger
Valued Contributor

Re: lpr.log Tru64

Narenda,

The PrepareFilter message is coming from lpd when it forks to process the request. The 'cannot open' suggests that either lpd is not running as root, or has lost its setuid permission (maybe), or the spooled file has the wrong permissions, or perhaps the spool directory(ies) has the wrong ownership or permissions.

Or, (less likely) perhaps you might be hitting a system limit - qty of processes or threads, file size, or even the spool area is on a full disk ?

Check the other logs (kernel, daemon, messages) and/or evm for clues.

Finally, take a look at this itrc entry from 2004 - it seems to be describing the same problem : http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/LPR-LOG/m-p/3343695#M3419

John M

Nobody can serve both God and Money