Re: max_proc_per_user exceeded for uid

SOLVED
Go to solution
Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

max_proc_per_user exceeded for uid

We have a Alpha server ES47 running
Tru64 Unix V5.1-4 i.e. on patch kit 6.

In the past couple of days the server has started reporting the following in the messages file:-

Apr 28 15:29:57 lysithea last message repeated 2 times
Apr 28 15:30:00 lysithea vmunix: task_create() failed for pid 425887: max_proc_per_user (=4096) exceeded for uid 202.
Apr 28 15:30:00 lysithea vmunix: task_create() failed for pid 428496: max_proc_per_user (=4096) exceeded for uid 202.
Apr 28 15:30:05 lysithea vmunix: task_create() failed for pid 428592: max_proc_per_user (=4096) exceeded for uid 202.
Apr 28 15:30:11 lysithea vmunix: task_create() failed for pid 4221: max_proc_per_user (=4096) exceeded for uid 202.
Apr 28 15:30:20 lysithea vmunix: task_create() failed for pid 4221: max_proc_per_user (=4096) exceeded for uid 202.
Apr 28 15:30:21 lysithea vmunix: task_create() failed for pid 428592: max_proc_per_user (=4096) exceeded for uid 202.
Apr 28 15:30:53 lysithea vmunix: task_create() failed for pid 428592: max_proc_per_user (=4096) exceeded for uid 202.
#

I am informed by our DBA the problem appears to be caused by a Oracle Enterprise agent which keeps on bouncing the databases.

Yesterday the DBA stopped and restarted the Oracle Enterprise agent but only fixes the problem for a while until it starts to reporting these max_proc_user exceeded messages again.

Has anyone got a fix for this type of problem?

7 REPLIES 7
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Well 4096 is is good number , what is max_threads_per_user setting??

is this a new build of old server and you suddenly started to face the issue.
You may have to contact DBA team as to how many process oracle is expected to run.

Well this parameter sets the maximum number of proxess a user can run.
CHeck if some defunct process is there.

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Our server has been running fine for the last 5 years and this is the fist time its started to report these errors.

I'll speak to our DBA to check how many processes oracle is expected to run

I cannot see any defunct procesess.

Yesterday the DBA restarted the Oracle Enterprise agent and so far further errors have been reported.

Thanks
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> Our server has been running fine for the
> last 5 years and this is the fist time its > started to report these errors.

Has nothing changed in the last 5 years ? I'll take a guess that the Oracle Enterprise agent might be a relatively recent addition...

Which user relates to UID 202 ? (# grep 202 /etc/passwd) That may give you some hints as to what is happening.

It might also be useful to let us know the versions of Oracle that you're running....

Cheers,

Rob
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

many times this happens because a user wrote a script, that takes longer to execute than the intervals it it scheduled.
this goes even worse when temp-files are used and no effort is made to make the filename unique, such a script bites it's own tail....

first inspect the cause the first instance is taking longer than normally.
(tables grown ore locked, inspected file larger than in the past?)
Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Hi Rob,

Over the last 5 years we have successfully applied patch kit updates and updated the Oracle database on it. The current Oracle database is version 10.2.0.3.0.

Yes the DBA recently in Feb 2009 installed Oracle Enterprise agent and it has been running fine up until 27th April 2009 when these errors started to be reported.
OEM version is 10.2.0.2.0.

Two weeks ago I applied a ERP patch kit fix for a known panic problem.

Grep of UID 202 displays this:-
# grep -i 202 /etc/passwd
oracle:*:202:200:Oracle Account:/dba/users/oracle:/bin/ksh

Rob, can you advise me now for a fix?

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

As it looks to be something related to Oracle that is causing the problem, I would log a fault call with them to see what they say...

Cheers,

Rob
Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Hello Rob,

I have advise the DBA to log a fault call wiith Oracle to shed some light on this problem.

Thank you.

Dan