Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753523 Members
6100 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mqueue size is keep on increasing on Digital Unix 4.0f!!!

Vikas_9
Occasional Contributor

mqueue size is keep on increasing on Digital Unix 4.0f!!!

Dear All,
I'm using sendmail on D.Unix 4.0f. I'm new to this field, the problem is the size of /var/spool/mqueue is keep on increasing, means it is not dropping the deferred mail from mqueue. This size is effecting the performance of my server very much. Kindly suggest me how can I change the setting of sendmail.cf (or something else) so that the deferred mails will not be accumulate in the mqueue file.

Vikas
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Elleby III_1
Trusted Contributor

Vikas-

The quickest way to do this is to setup a cronjob to run periodically (i.e. every 30 min.) and issue a 'sendmail -q'...

Secondly, in the sendmail.cf file, look for the DS macro and add name of the server that you can 'forward' these mails to.. Typically, it is used to send mail to Exchange to be delivered to users within your intranet..

Mike-
Knowledge Is Power
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

/var/spool/mqueue shouldn't be filling up for its just a temporary repository of mail messages waiting to be sent. Review the system.log for failed delivery attempts. Check permissions on /var/spool/mqueue to be 700.

Check under mqueue for the correct file system structure: data ???les are stored in the ???df??? subdirectory, the transcript ???les are stored in the ???xf??? subdirectory, and all others are stored in the ???qf??? subdirectory. There should also be a .hoststat file.

In /etc/mail/sendmail.cf verify that your mail relay and hostname are configured.

DSmail relay
Dj$w:hostname.com

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_ACRO_SUP/SENDMAIL.PDF
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

sendmail works fine if using the mailsetup and not manually change anything. The permissions etc. are correct out of the box.

So please undo all your changes (use fverify to check the permissions) and use the official mailsetup tools which is the only official (and supported) way!
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

as a starter check the log files within /var/adm/syslog.dated/current.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }