Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

msg "waiting for <ptr_name> to come up"

so.nimda
Super Advisor

msg "waiting for <ptr_name> to come up"

hi all,

i'm trying to print across a WAN and on doing a "lpc status", i get the following msg :

#root> lpc status ptr-1
ptr-1:
printer is on remote host pt-r1 with name text
queuing is enabled
printing is enabled
4 entries in spool area
Fri Aug 18 09:14:52 2006: waiting for pt-r1 to come up
#root>

i've setup the printer using "lprsetup" and i can see it in the printcap file.

i am able to ping ptr-1 (of course just because the printer is pingable doesn't mean it can print) at least i know network-wise, it's clear.

besides checking if the printer ports are opened, firewall/switches/routers are not blocking, are there anything else i should be checking?

any advice is much appreciated... :)

thanks in advance..

:)
3 REPLIES
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Re: msg "waiting for <ptr_name> to come up"

What kind of printer is it? Are you sure 'text' is a valid port designator for the printer in question? You might also try enabling debug logging for your printing subsystem and see if anything interesting shows up in /var/adm/syslog.dated/current/lpr.log. You do that by putting a line the reads:

lpr.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/lpr.log

in your /etc/syslog.conf file and then sending a HUP signal to the syslog daemon.
so.nimda
Super Advisor

hi mark,

thanks for the reply...

will have a go at it...

regards...
Harmanjit_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Normally, the printer gives this message incase printer is remote printer or network printer.

1) If printer is connected to windows machine.

a) check if tcp/ip services for windows is enabled.
b) check if share name of the printer is the one which you should use as remote port.

If I am not wrong pt-r1 is your remote host and text is the name which you have given for remote port.

Check sharename of the printer is text and tcp/ip printing is enabled.

Thanks