Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

named error message: sysquery:nlookup error on ?

Howard Anderson_2
Frequent Advisor

named error message: sysquery:nlookup error on ?

On a DS25 Alphaserver running Tru64 5.1B PK5 I am getting the above error quite frequently.
I have DNS configured for a local Intranet, but there is no connnection to the Internet.
Is the system trying to query a non-existant root name server ?
The system is operating normally as far as I can tell, but it would be usefull to remove the cause of this error message.
7 REPLIES
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Re: named error message: sysquery:nlookup error on ?

Hello
Please post exact error message and /etc/ntp.conf
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Howard Anderson_2
Frequent Advisor

Exact error:

"falpha named [9681]:sysquery: nlookup error on?"

ntp.conf: attached file.

VINCENT, Jean-Marc
Valued Contributor

Hi,

nslookup has nothing to do with ntp (/etc/ntp.conf) but rather with /etc/resolv.conf and named. So, /etc/namedb/* conf files are involved.

You can also have a $HOME/.nslookuprc file.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

VINCENT Jean-Marc
HP France
Groupe Support Unix
Tru64(tm) UNIX Technical Consultant - Tru64(tm) UNIX Ambassador HP France
+33 1 5762-8861
jean-marc.vincent@hp.com
Howard Anderson_2
Frequent Advisor

Vincent Hi,

I thought it wasn't NTP related, but since Valdimir asked for the file, I posted it anyway.

I will attach the /etc/named files, and the resolv.conf later today.

(I do not have a .nslookuprc file anywhere as far as I know, but I will check this out as well.)

I emptied out the named.ca, as I did not want it to contact unreachable root name servers, this may be the cause.

Looking through the O' Reilly Albitz & Liu book has not given me any clues.

Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Sorry
I agree with Jean-Marc. It has to do with name server, not time server (I was configuring time server while writting answer to you, so I missed the point).
Of course, we need to know more about named configuration.
I wiil see that after you post required files.
Regards
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Howard Anderson_2
Frequent Advisor

Ok the files are attached:
Howard Anderson_2
Frequent Advisor

Checking on Google, it seems this error messages is the result of having an empty root hints file.
However, as I am only building an Intranet DNS, I don't want the system trying to probe the root nameservers.
Hence I had removed the entries from the file.
So my question should be: How do I configure DNS bind so that it operates on an Intranet, without trying to probe root or other external nameservers ? (and without it throwing a series of error messages ?)