108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: no priviledge to run voliod

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Kidson

no priviledge to run voliod

Hi All

This is a ES40 with 4.0F, after a reboot the system will only go up to single user. Error message on console is -

>starting CPU 2
>starting CPU 3
>no priviledge to run voliod

I can mount the / f/system r/w and it checks out with verify, but I cannot mount /usr. It's strange that "who" command shows " " (blank), but my other alpha's show "root". I get the same message if try to restart voliod by hand. It may be coincidence, but this system used to run NIS, but not anymore. It's almost as if it doesn't think I'm root. I have looked at passwd/group/svc.conf and they all look ok. Booting off cdrom and checking usr_domain with verify, errors with "bad file number".
Any idea's would be welcome. Cheers
11 REPLIES 11
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

are you running system disk with lsm?
If so, what does this return?
lsmbstartup
/sbin/bcheckrc

greetings,

Michael
Mike Kidson

Thanks for quick responce

Running lsmbstartup produces the following -

starting LSM
you are not priviledged to run voliod
LSM voliod is not enabled for transactions
No volumes started

Running /sbin/bcheckrc mounts the / filesystem ok, but /usr fails to mount with a "bad file number" error

The / directory looks good, I haven't run salvage on /usr, as I do not understand the voliod error message.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

have a look here and see, if it helps you in any way:
http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/tru64-unix-managers/2000-06/msg00204.html

Do you have software support?

greetings,

Michael
Mike Kidson

I don't think its kernel related as I get the same error after booting backup vmunix's. I will log it with HP - its just so slow to get anything resolved that way. I'm also re-installing Tru64 on a spare drive - so it may end up as being un-resolved (as on that web link).

Cheers - Mike
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

the message indicates a passwd or permission problem. So checking the permissions and removing passwd.dir and passwd.pag is a primer. If this doesn't help copy the ..*passwd file to /etc/passwd.

"who" indicates also that kind of problem!

PS: A new installation is a more "PC" like view of the problem ;-)
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Mike Kidson

I have switched NIS off in rc.config and svc.conf has "local" first (BSD level sec). /etc/passwd & group look ok, but it is strange that it does not seem to reconise that the process is root even when it has only been booted to single user. Do you know if at some point in the boot sequence, the main (initial) process is not fully set up as "root" ?

Cheers - Mike
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

read my answer, check the passwd.dir and passwd.pag file. Check if user and groups will be resolved and directories/files will not listed the user/gid numbers. Check permission of LSM executable and filesystem!
Dmitry Timoshenko
Frequent Advisor

This problem occured due to corrupted 'sia' database.
Please, check /etc/sia/siainitgood file, it must be empty and existent.
In my case, 'touch /etc/sia/siainitgood' solved problem.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Dymitri,

the original informations doesn't contain any information regarding C2. So your answer seems a guess?