Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748227 Members
4484 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

old 5.1er, gcc and firefox build

old 5.1er, gcc and firefox build

I'm using an old 5.1 (rev 732) Tru64, and trying to do something useful.

I was trying to install firefox from package, but while it installs, it complains about version mismatch between my system, and build system (8.6 vs. _null), so I decided to build one myself.
Since the system (non-commercial license) seems not to have CC installed, I built gcc with g++ and dependencies quite successfully. The firefox builds quite nicely with one annoying exception:
/usr/bin/gmake export
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mozilla/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md'
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mozilla/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md/unix'
gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `export'.
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md/unix'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md'
/usr/bin/gmake libs
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mozilla/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md'
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mozilla/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md/unix'
gcc -o xptcstubs_asm_osf1_alpha.o -c xptcstubs_asm_osf1_alpha.s
as0: Error: xptcstubs_asm_osf1_alpha.s, line 30: Expected cpp-generated line number
gmake[2]: *** [xptcstubs_asm_osf1_alpha.o] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md/unix'
gmake[1]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

So i decided to do a little trick, and manually used cc to build the thing, which worked right until ld complained about unreferenced "stubs" and finally bailed out with error.

Any help on this issue is appreciated- how to build the darn thing?
1 REPLY 1
Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

Re: old 5.1er, gcc and firefox build

Hmmm...I havent used the above method or application, but Ive in the past had lots of issues building packages on Tru64, and often the solution was to use native "make" together with gcc or, gmake together with native cc.

Dont know if its any help to your particular problem though...