5743 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

performance issue

edi_4
Advisor

performance issue

Hi! We are running Tru64 V5.1B PK4.
There are performance problem - CPU idle is 0%, there are also high io on dsk5. We are running oracle - how do I determine what is bootleneck memory, storage...
Storage is HSH80 - disks are RAID1+0.
Thank you!
15 REPLIES 15
edi_4
Advisor

Re: performance issue

there are statistics - vmstat, collect...
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Can you post 'disklabel dsk5' output? Also,

# cd /etc/fdmns
# showfdmn *
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

From the output of vmstat, you will see that there are not page ins AND page outs, so this is not a memory problem. As paging does not occurs, the high I/O activity on the disk in not swap related.

You can see that most of the CPU is consumed by user applications (us) and not by the system (sy). This means that your database or applications are stressing the system.

I think that you need to optimize your database or applications (Idexes, queries, etc).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

The CPUs are simply overloaded with the Oracle work.

I see some worries in system space: lowish free mem, high system call rate, possibly not using direct-io?

But since user time is 85% or more, that's where you should focus.

Why is Oracle burning the time it burns? Maybe it is legit, and there is simply too much work. On the other hand, maybe Oracle is being told to do silly things: Application tuning and DB tuning.

The way to make progress on this is to run Oracle statspack and drill down on the top few cpu burning queries and/or top "Buffer Gets" (probably the same ones :-).

I'd recommend digging into oracle (and/or get consultancy help to do so.). You could also throw more hardware at the problem... if this is a 4 cpu cable box.

Good luck,

Hein
HvdH Performance Consulting.

edi_4
Advisor

File domains are also near full - on disk5 are created 3 advfs filesets... there are 2 oracle databases files. I am going to move it to /raid7.

I can not add more cpu - it is DS25. Because oracle is memory intensive - I can add more momory. Will more memory help to get better performanse?
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Have you enabled direct I/O for Oracle? Have you followed the Oracle tuning recommendations?

From the file, I see that baza2_domain is the domain in question. Which cluster node i s the cfs server for this domain. You could have some perf implications if the node that is initiating disk activity is not a cfs server (particularly if direct I/O is not enabled).
edi_4
Advisor

Thank you! File system is served by another member

# cfsmgr /raid5

Domain or filesystem name = /raid5
Server Name = mravljaclu2
Server Status : OK

Can I do # cfsmgr -a server=member1 /raid5 online?
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

yes, you can.
edi_4
Advisor

Thank you - how can I find out if direct i/o is enabled