3053 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: prom_getenv:Invalid ev type:0

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

prom_getenv:Invalid ev type:0

Hi,

recently we replaced either the cpu or the motherboard in an 1000a and we have problems getting the console to show up. Has anyone an idea what the message above means?

thanks,

Michael
10 REPLIES 10
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

The AS1000 has an EISA bus, whose bridge logic resides on the motherboard, so my first
idea would be to run ECU and "save config". That will probably bring back the EISA devices.

As for the "prom_getenv": this is a routine used by utilities like consvar. The command "consvar -l" will likely reproduce the message, indicating that one of the displayed console variables contains an invalid value.

_Johan_

_JB_
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

The console callback "prom_getenv" provides an interface for fetching environment variables from NVRAM. It's described in the Alpha SRM. The (os) software must be asking for something, or in a way, that your system can not handle yet. Teh 'ev type' is surely short for 'Environment Variable type'.

How about just doing a firmware upgrade to the latest and greatest? It might not be up-to-date enough for your current os version.

the following are just randumb thoughts, unlikely to help, but maybe just maybe?
If fresh firmware did not cut it then please porvide a little more detail when/where you get this message. What can you do / not do?

I haven't been in that space for a while, but could this have anything to do with NT versus Unix systems?
Do you get the >>> prompt?
How about SHOW OS_TYPE ?

Are you trying a serial console or monitor attached to video card + mouse and keyboard?

You do know about 'set console serial' followed by 'init' right?
I have at times typed this in 'blindly', when no monitor was handy.

Cheers,
Hein.

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the comments. It is Tru64 and it was only the cpu that was changed. I have set console to graphics. I have set console to graphics with consvar before rebooting.
I have opened a call because the console shows no output.

Michael
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

In the top left corner of the motherboard, there is a jumper to enable/disable the onboard VGA controller. It's usually in the disabled(mid-to-left) position if there is a more performant graphics adapter on the PCI or EISA bus.

Some days before, you entered an inquiry about loading a new firmware image on a AS100. Is this the same system, if yes, i'm still recommending running the ECU.

_Johan_

_JB_
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Johan,

no it is another system. We still have a few of them.

thanks,

Michael
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

consvar is a command in Tru64 UNIX that can show, and set SRM console variables - consvar - the Firmware Console Environment Variable Manager.

Syntax:

consvar [-v] [-nc] -g -s -a -l -d [variable] [value]
-v Verbose
-g variable Get the value of variable
-s variable value Set the value of variable
-l List all variables with their values
-a Save all variables to NV storage
(note that on 8x00 platform writing to the NV (non-volatile) memory takes longer than on other platforms - up to 1 min)
-d Print out exception database data
-nc Do NOT perform conversion

By default -g gets the value of a console variable and translates it. For example:

fenwick/-> consvar -g bootdef_dev
bootdef_dev = dsk12(4 paths)

(Some of you probably remember how right after an OS install you see a message saying that bootdef_dev was set to dskxx.)

If you want to see the 4 paths in the above example use -nc:

fenwick/-> consvar -nc -g bootdef_dev
bootdef_dev = SCSI3 1 6 0 2 0 0 0 @wwid0,SCSI3 3 6 0 4 0 0 0 @wwid0,SCSI3 1 6 0 1 0 0 0 @wwid0,SCSI3 3 6 0 3 0 0 0 @wwid0

NB! Some of the console variables do not show with -l. For example if you have DE series network cards they will not show in the output from "consvar -l". If you know the console variable name you can still see its value:

fenwick/-> consvar -g eia0_mode (DE600 - ee0 under UNIX)
eia0_mode = Twisted-Pair
fenwick/-> consvar -g eib0_mode (DE600 - ee1 under UNIX)
eib0_mode = Twisted-Pair
kilo/-> consvar -g ewa0_mode
ewa0_mode = Auto-Negotiate (DE500 - tu0 under UNIX)

Another variable that will not show in the "consvar -l" output is sys_serial_num.

Every time you access a variable that does not show in the "consvar -l" output with the consvar -g variable" command on a older system like TurboLaser, RawHide class system there is a message being displayed on the system's console - prom_getenv: invalid ev type:0.

Just a reminder that after you are done with all the changes run consvar -a

-a Save the values of all environment variables to non-volatile storage.
Setting a variable with the -s option only updates the in-memory copy
of console environment variables. The save process could take a long
time on some platforms, so it is recommended that the variables are
saved after all set operations have been performed.

HTH,
Ross
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Ross,

thanks for the posting. What happens if I do not do consvar -a and reboot the machine?
What happens if console is set to serial and there is no serial console. Does the machine complain?

greetings,

Michael
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

> What happens if I do not do consvar -a and reboot the machine?

It wouldn't keep the changes you set with consvar -s
Try it. This is easy to try.

> What happens if console is set to serial and there is no serial console. Does the machine complain?

I assume you have graphics head on that system then... This is not an easy answer here. It depends on the system type,

sometimes you get the output on the graphics even if console is set to serial. If you don't get any output on the graphics

head, then just plug in a terminal and check it out. You do have a bunch of old terminals laying around, don't you?

;-)

Ross
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

consvar -v -l does render the output below. consvar -g console causes the error.

greetings,

Michael

stu02d />consvar -v -l
Firmware Rev: 5.7-80
system fam:27 cpu:5 smm:1311
auto_action = HALT
boot_dev = re0
bootdef_dev = re0
booted_dev = re0
boot_file =
booted_file =
boot_osflags = A