108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"Presenting" a new disk to the system/duplicate domain name

SOLVED
Go to solution
R Swenson
Frequent Advisor

"Presenting" a new disk to the system/duplicate domain name

I have added a new disk to my ESA 10000 Storage works cabinet and have used the HSZ70 configuration software to configure it so it is listed as a valid device. However, I have run HWMGR -SCAN -SCSI and HWMGR -SHOW -SCSI and the system does not find it.

Also, this disk is going to be my newly configured root_domin#root disk when the dust settles. How do I mount it when I already have a domin with that name?
8 REPLIES 8
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: "Presenting" a new disk to the system/duplicate domain name

Ensure that the disk is presented (enable_access=hostname) to the host.

To mount this new root_domain, you must create it with a new domain name, like new_root#root. If you want to rename it later, create the directory in /etc/fdmns/root_domain and create the link to the appropiate device.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Have you enabled access to the device on the HSZ70? What does the output of "SHOW UNITS FULL" on the HSZ70 console show for the new disk?

As for duplicating root, you'll need to do something like this:

# disklabel -wr HSX
# mkfdmn new_root
# mkfset new_root root
# mount new_root#root

Copy files as required.....

Bring system down and boot from installation CD. Bring up CLI from installation CD.

# mkdir /etc/fdmns/new_root
# ln -s /dev/disk/ /etc/fdmns/new_root/
# mount new_root#root /tmp
# rm /tmp/etc/fdmns/root_domain/*
# ln -s /dev/disk/ /tmp/etc/fdmns/root_domain/

Change console settings to boot from new root device.

That all assumes that only the root_domain is being relocated and that /usr, /var, and swap are staying put. If other OS devices are also being moved, similar steps will have to be taken with them.
R Swenson
Frequent Advisor

OK, I did an "ADD UNIT D5 DISK11010" on the HSZ70 control, then ran HWMGR again and the disk shows up on the UNIX system.

I then proceeded to issue this commanad:
disklabel -rw -t advfs /dev/rdisk/dsk5a dsk5a
This fails because there is no /dev/rdisk/dsk5a However, dsk5a - h exists in /dev only.

Do I need to use MAKEDEV or dsfmgr to create these in the right places? Thanks for your help thus far!
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You don't have to specify the fs type on the disklabel command. Just use:

disklabel -rw dsk5

Ensure that dsk5 is the device name. You then create the domains on partitions with mkdfdmn as described above.

You can use the diskconfig X tool to resize the partitions easily.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
R Swenson
Frequent Advisor

# /sbin/disklabel -rw dsk5
disklabel: dsk5: No such file or directory

This is the response I get when trying to use disklabel in /devices/disk. I get the same results in /devices/ndisk. Both directories contain the files dsk0a-h through dsk4a-h.

What am I doing wrong? As always, thanks for the on-going assistance.
R Swenson
Frequent Advisor

Additional information: When I use HWMGR, the disk shows up, but the DEVICE FILE name is this: (null)

My other disks show up as dsk0 - dsk4. Hope this helps.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

[ see also http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1021997 ]

Please describe what you expect to see (how many disks are defined) and include or attach the output from: hwmgr -show scsi

Hein.

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Ivan,

I have still im mind that you need -t advfs for the boot disk. I have had problems with booting after I did not use it. It has something to do with the block size. If I remember correctly then it could not load osf_boot.
Hein, is that correct?

greetings,

Michael