Also, check the /sys directory
Annette_11
Advisor

Re: root_domain 100% full

Thank you

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

why not reading previous topics (links have been given)? du and df are not suitable tools to analyze advfs filesystem problems, use showfdmns, quotacheck etc. instead.

Be sure no process has files open, these files will not be seen - but this was written several times in the above links.
(so df and du output is useless)

Have a look into the upgrade guide explaining in detail howto expand the root filesystem during upgrade.

Btw. you can still delete the /.netscape directory.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Annette_11
Advisor

Sorry, I have done: showfdmn -k root_domain and I got the following output:

Id Date Created LogPgs Version Domain Name
3bc6e7f3.0007c9f0 Fri Oct 12 13:54:11 2001 512 4 root_domain

Vol 1K-Blks Free % Used Cmode Rblks Wblks Vol Name
1L 2152592 2033488 6% on 256 256 /dev/disk/dsk0a

This seems to show that only 6% of the root filesystem is being used?
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

it seems so depending on your output. Please post the output as attachement next time, because it is hard to read it with proportional font ;-)

So have a look into the given links and use quotacheck as described to verify the real counters.
Norman_20
Advisor

Hi all, if i can i want to suggest one common problem.....core file.
You can go in / and launch find . -name core, and removethe core file you find.

By Norman
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Norman,

why not reading the threads prior to post an answer (your proposal is part of several other given answers on the named links)
Don Ritchey
Frequent Advisor

Based on the information from your root_domain checkout, it appears to me that you have a transient file that is very large but unlinked from the file system. When was the last time that you rebooted this system? If it is not too disruptive of your operations, I suggest you reboot the system to clear any transient files and get back to a known-good baseline. In fact, to prevent any startup processes from muddying the water, start the system in single user mode and check out the root_domain while nothing else is runnning to interfere with your view.

Once you have checked out the startup conditions, you can then watch for any creeping loss of space over time. You need a known-good baseline to compare to future events. This will allow you to measure any changes and the rate of change.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Don,

the advfs informations differs from the information the "unix" commands are seeing. This indicates a quota mismatch which are corrected by using quotacheck (see links, documentation etc.).

A "hidden" file will not be seen by the "unix" commands like df and du but within the showfdmn. But showfdmn gives a smaller value than the df/du commands so I don't think problem rely on "open" files of a process. A sparse file is more likely but df/du should handle this...

I'm looking forward for the real counters after using the quotacheck command.