5727 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

searching for bmesh

John McNulty_2
Frequent Advisor

searching for bmesh

Hello,

In the well known marvel_performance.pdf doc there was reference to a utility called "bmesh", that allows storing Xmesh information in a file so the data can be graphed using bplot. This tool is referenced again in release notes of a marvel_pfm fix supplied in V5.1B PK2 (an old kit).

But I've never been able to find it. Does anyone have a copy, or know where I can get my hands on one?

Regards,

John
8 REPLIES 8
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Re: searching for bmesh

Hi John,

bmesh was developed as an tool that could be used internally to verify the correctness of xmesh output. It was never shipped outside.
John McNulty_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi BL,

Well, if thats the last word regarding bmesh, then thanks for letting me know. Seems a shame that there is no way for the general public to collect and log detailed performance of their EV7 cpus.

I posted the question here because I've had more than one customer ask me if they could capture xmesh data, as they don't have the time to sit watching it all day.

Regards,

John

Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Well...I understand the need...

'collect' gets data about cpus but not other marvel subsystems...
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

John,

I misplaced my own copy, and the original creators of the software have moved one (Zarka, Peter Gilbert,...). I have an internal question out as to who the current owner is, and how to make this available. No answer so far.

I suppose one could try to reverse engineer /dev/marvel_pfm ?! Nah.

Yes it would be nice to capture xmesh into a file for eventual analysis, I do not argue that.
But let's be practical... would anyone really?
In my experience this kind of system monitoring is great as a help during initial setup, for accute problem analysis, and just to learn to understand the box better, but it has limited value 'later on'.

Yes I have dreams of running bmesh/monitor/whatever at regular intervals and to be able to look back over time to be able to spot any creeping degradation or large changes, but did I actually ever do so?

So, IMHO, xmesh will do 90% of the job 90% of the time.
bmesh would make the solution complete and would be a nice to have.

Hein.

Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

A point to note here is that bmesh and xmesh cannot be run at the same instance as both depend on the marvel_pfm file.

So, if bmesh is running on the background, no one can use xmesh to monitor the cpu mesh.
John McNulty_2
Frequent Advisor

Hello Hein,

One customer who asked me if I knew how to get this functionality has been having problems with the performance of a data run that lasts more than 3 days. Sitting and watching xmesh for a a few hours isn't going to give me a very complete picture.

It may be that bmesh data would not reveal anything interesting. But I would rather know, than not know.

Regards,

John

Aaron Biver_2
Frequent Advisor

Please email me regarding bmesh and bplot.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Aaron wrote> "Please email me regarding bmesh and bplot. "

Easier said than done. The forum does not provide direct Email access to user (except for forum moderator issues by selected HP individuals).

The simplest solution is for you to mark "Send email to me whenever someone replies" on this topic.

An alternative, but not encouraged, is to put your Email address in a reply. If you do so, I would suggestion you hide it somewhat, for example as "username _at_ xyz _dot_ com"

fwiw, I have identified internal HP folks who work in the group bmesh came from but have not received a reply, and might never receive a useful reply. If you really think bmesh is needed to run a GS1280 system properly, then you may want to escalate such request through your official support links.

Regards,
Hein.