1748051 Members
4922 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: system recovery

Narayanan_2
Advisor

system recovery

I am doing regular backups, but have no idea on how to handle situations like NO OS, panic, harddisk crash. Appreciate if somebody can enlighten me on this.
10 REPLIES 10
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

first of all you would have to correct the cause of the problem, replacing faulty hardware, installing new patches, if this is a known problem. The rest depends on, what os version you have and whether you have hardware or software mirroring. The best way would be a call for HP assistance anyway.

greetings,

Michael
Narayanan_2
Advisor

Micheal,
I am using Tru64 v4.0F. I was working on DRP solution for this server.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

usually you would replace the disk(s), boot from cdrom, make a new disklabel, new filedomain and filesets, mount them and restore them from tape. I hope, you havent got lsm, there I dont know. How do you do backups, with vdump? Have you got hardware mirroring?

greetings,

Michael
Narayanan_2
Advisor

Hi,
I backup using vdump. We don't use mirroring or raid.
Narayanan_2
Advisor

Micheal,
What do u mean by boot from cdrom? Install the OS?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

mirroring is one good means of keeping the system up, when one disk crashes. Using the command sys_check is good for documenting the system configuration. When your only system disk crashes, you cant boot. So you have to boot from the operating cd. This is the same procedure as when installing. When you enter the installation programme, you can exit to shell. You can see the cdrom device, when on console prompt and type show dev. boot "cdrom device" something like dka400 or dka500.

greetings,

Michael
Narayanan_2
Advisor

thanks michael.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if I could help you, I wouldnt mind, if you assigned some points to the answers.

thank you,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

The easiest way to prevent the named szenarios is to create a boottape (see man-page of btcreate/btextract)

In case of emergency you can rebuilt your system automatically by booting the tape. Be sure you have fixed hardware problems first.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }