1752785 Members
5962 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tape drive on tru64 5.1

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

it is not a hw-database problem, I've seen this on other customers machine. Cabling, patchkit or ddr database issue...
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Orrin
Valued Contributor

HI Julie,

We had similar issues, and as it turned out the firmware on the Tape Library and the Tape drives needed upgrading.

We have a tape library connected to a VMS cluster and a Unix Cluster. The tape device could not be seen on the VMS cluster and the UNix cluster. After confirming the zoning etc, we kept losing connection to the library and the tape device was not available.

The reason I'm not sure is we used the COMpaq Tape l;ibraries and you are using The Seagate Library, well you may have to investigate further. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Orrin.
Julie Harold_1
Advisor

thanks everyone - I will try updating the patch kit and sorting out the firmware on the tape, then I will have a go at disconnecting the changer and see what happens.

I will report back - probably in a few days.

Julie
Julie Harold_1
Advisor

update - I have put the latest patches on (T64V51BB24AS0003-20030929.tar) and it made no difference. I am now talking to the suppliers to try and get firmware updates and check the setting for /etc/ddr.dbase.

Failing that I will have to try disconnecting the changer - last option because the machine is operational and users are reluctant to let me turn it off !

Julie
Julie Harold_1
Advisor

do I need to add anything to /etc/mcicap ? If so what ?

thanks, Julie
Stuart Green
Frequent Advisor

I have read this thread so far, and was about to recommend looking into the mcicap file. Anyway here is mine for a kind of comparison.

We have 2 ESL9198 libraries (mc0 and mc1) with 7 drives in each so this give you an idea of the layout/format of the file.

==/etc/mcicap===========
mc0|cob:\
:mc=/dev/changer/mc0:\
:dn=tape0,tape1,tape2,tape3,tape4,tape5,tape6:tc=ESL9198:

mc1|d5:\
:mc=/dev/changer/mc1:\
:dn=tape10,tape11,tape12,tape13,tape14,tape15,tape16:tc=ESL9198:

# Digital ESL9198 DLT Automated Tape Library
ESL9198|Digital ESL9198:\
:it=scsi2:dt=tape:bc:vt:is:pa:pe:re:rs:ae:
=====================

Good Luck
Julie Harold_1
Advisor

Hi,

just to update.

1. I have updated all the patches

2. I have updated all the firmware

3. Supplier says you can't disconnect the changer.

No change in what is being seen by hwmgr.

Any ideas who I can contact at hpux to find out how to solve this ?

Thanks,

Julie
Peter Arrell

Hi Julie,

did you ever resolve this issue?

I am having a similar problem with a Tandberg DLT autoloader and any help would be much appreciated.
cheers
Peter