Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trucluster patching

SOLVED
Go to solution
edi_4
Advisor

trucluster patching

What is the procedure to patch TruCluster 5.1b from patck kit1 to patch kit 5.
Is there any problem to expect?
8 REPLIES
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: trucluster patching

First, there are two ways to patch TruCluster: rolling and non-rolling. Non rolling is simple to do and is much faster method but needs downtime of entire cluster. I had problems only with rolling upgrade method.
Procedure:
Unpack patch kit somewhere. Go to this directory (for example /usr/patche/patch_kit) and run ./dupatch.
Select option Check and install in multiuser mode. You MUST patch cluster in multiuser mode. Follow the instructions and patch the cluster. That may take a long time.
Backup the cluster before patching.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The downloaded patch file contains a directory that contains all the documentation for patching the system.

I heard that some people had problems installing PK5. You should always run a Patch Preinstallation Check / Patch Baseline Analysis/Adjustment.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

edi,

I've only done non-rolling patch uprgades as well. This is how I do it

o Download the patch and unpack it into /var/adm/patch.
# cd /var/adm/patch
# tar -xf

o cd down to the patch_kit sub-directory and run ./dupatch

o Perform baslining (option 5) and review the output. Make any changes that's necessary.

o Perform pre-installation check only (option 1). Verify that no patches will fail.

o Shutdown all services like Oracle databases, etc. To prevent users from logging in touch /etc/nologin (remember to delete this file after you're done)

o Perform patch installation in muli-user mode. At one point all members in the cluster will reboot. Just about every time I've done this, one of our 5 cluster members fails to reboot with some type of panic. I just manually boot that member and everything is fine.

Hope this helps,
Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
edi_4
Advisor

Thank anybody - Does it matter on which cluster member to run ./dupatch?
Thank you!
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

I ussualy do it from "leading member", member that created cluster. But just for patching, it is not so important.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Any member would do.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You can do it on any member.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
edi_4
Advisor

I did installation without problems - thank to all.