Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ulimit for memory

Qcheck
Super Advisor

ulimit for memory

Hi All,

How can I set the ulimit -m unlimited in Tru64?

When I tried to do "# ulimit -m unlimited ",I am getting an error saying:
ksh: u;imit: exceeds allowable limit

Can any one suggest me?

Thanks
8 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: ulimit for memory

I'm not 100% sure but I think that you cannot establish a value more than the physical memory in the system. For example for a 16 GB system you should run:

ulimit -m 16322280

Anyway, you don't need unlimited because the available RAM is the limit.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Qcheck
Super Advisor

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the response. The current memory(kbytes) is set to 4098520. Is there nay way I can increase little bit and if so how can I increase?

Thanks
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Verify the size of your physical memory using vmstat -P. If i'm right, you cannot increase to more than reported by the first line in the output.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Qcheck
Super Advisor

Hi,

When I did vmstat -P, I got:

Total Physical Memory = 4096.00 M
= 524288 Pages

And # ulimit -a resulted for memory as:

memory(kbytes) 4098520

So do you think I can't increase anything?

Thanks and waiting for the response.

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I think that you can't. Why do you need to increase it. It a high value considering your memory.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Pratibha,

Why?

Why do you think you need to increase the -m value.
Error you getting errors? What error, which application, what is is trying to to (shmget?)

Typically application fail on VIRTUAL memory config problems like shmmax controlled or sysconfig parameter proc:max_per_proc_address_space and proc:max_per_proc_data_size

Study the full output of : ulimit -a
and: sysconfig -q proc
and: sysconfig -q ipc

Report details here if problems persist, but do report also why you believe there to be a problem.

Oh... and be sure to 'google' around for queries like:
+tru64 +ulimit +"physical memory"
If you like answers from this forum, then add
+site:itrc.hp.com
This gives for example:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=863492

Hope this helps,
Hein.
Aaron Biver_2
Frequent Advisor

'ulimit' is limited by the kernel settings.

I have run into this when trying to debug large crash dump files. I assume there are other situations where it would be a problem.

In /etc/sysconfigtab, you should be able to bump "proc:max_per_proc_address_space" to something really big, like:

proc:
max_per_proc_address_space = 0x40000000000
max_per_proc_data_size = 0x40000000000

(you'll have to reboot)

Qcheck
Super Advisor

Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses. Problem has been fixed once I set the data resource limit. Meanwhile, I have learned about ulimit for memory.

I just did:

# ulimit -d 262144

Thanks to all very much