Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ulimit -m

Ian Croft
Occasional Contributor

ulimit -m

Hi - I have 2 identical ES40 servers with 4096 Mb of physical memory running V5.1B Patch Kit - Following a recent patch kit BB26 installation the output of ulimit -m shows different results on each server

Server A - 4063808
Server B - 4060408

I have checked the output from sysconfig -q ipc, sysconfig -q vm and sysconfig -q proc and the only paramter different ( Apart from the obvious swap device ) is the per_proc_data_size is different on each server

Server A per_proc_data_size = 1610612736
Server B per_proc_data_size = 3221225472

But I dont think this has anything to do with it.

Does anyone have an ideas why the output of ulimit -m is different on these servers now ?

Thanks in aticipation

Ian
10 REPLIES
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: ulimit -m

Bad memory? GH memory? PAL code?

I would use 'vmstat -P' for some details on physical memory

hope this helps a little,

Hein.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Memory limit cannot be greater than the physical memory. Check how much memory do you have in your systems as described above, with vmstat -P
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ian Croft
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions so far - I have checked that on both systems and they appear to have the same physical memory - These 2 systems are part of a trucluster and I would of thought given the settings in sysconfigtab being more or less identical we would get the same results. - Any more ideas ?
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

The 'ulimit -m' gives the sum of all the 'managed' pages displayed in the 'vmstat -P' output.

Ian Croft
Occasional Contributor

I dont get that though one one server

ulimit -m

Managed Pages Break Down:

free pages = 355652
active pages = 13580
inactive pages = 30758
wired pages = 50638
ubc pages = 57188
==================
Total = 507816

These dont seem to match or am I missing something ?

Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

The ulimit output is in Kilobytes...

So, 4060408 KB

The 'Managed' pages total = 507816 Pages
So, (507816 * 8192)/1024 = 4062528 KB

Difference: 2120 KB = 2.07 MB

The 'scavenge' space seem to tally with this. So, I think:

ulimit mem size = (Sum of 'managed' pages - scavenge space)

[The formula works for the other server as well!]
Ian Croft
Occasional Contributor

OK That makes a bit more sense but has anyone any ideas on why the systems are different ? And how I can stop them being different ?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

I think that as this point you already did enough due dilligence. You saw a *minute* difference, and made sure nothing is dramatically wrong. You know of one param being different (per_proc_data). Declare that to be the cause and move on!

I suspect the the effect on per_proc_data is page table entry pages, multiplies by the number of active processes. If the application is going to be the same, then one of the two settings is 'better':
- allows the right growth
- doesn't waste (modest) memory
Pick that value and move on!

Regards,
Hein

Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Are you facing any problems due to 2MB variation? I am wondering why you expect the values to match *exactly*.

PS: You may check out http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28 to learn about the member point system in this forum.
Philip Lawrence_1
Occasional Advisor

in /var/adm/messages do both systems give the same values for physical memory and available memory at boot time?