Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753706 Members
4728 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

/usr grows up and is about to fill up. Unable to control.

Bcolina

/usr grows up and is about to fill up. Unable to control.

Dear all,

The /usr filesystems grows up 100 Kb/s. The files inside are not growing up, put when I make df -k, the used space grows up. I don't know what is happening. I have made du /usr to detect the file, and lsof to see oppened files, but everything is ok.

I have cleaned all old logs, to save space, but there is not enought. I can't control It.

Help please!

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,
B. Colina
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: /usr grows up and is about to fill up. Unable to control.

Run the following commands to try to identify the growing directory:

cd /usr
du -sk * | sort -nrb

You will see the largest directory at the top. You can run the command twice to view the growing directory.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Bcolina

I did it, but there aren't files growing, but the used space continues growing up. I can't understand, It is the first time in my like I have seen something like this...

Thanks a lot
Bcolina

I have fixed it killing the binlogd procces.

Thanks a lot to everybody and best regards
Orjan Petersson
Frequent Advisor

Killing binlogd is probably not a very good thing to do as you will not get any more events added to the binary event log. "Events" here are all kind of events reported by the system (like "file system full", "high temperature detected", "Correctable error count on CPUx exceeds threshold", ...) and you really like to know about those. The information in the file is also useful for diagnosing system problems.

To clean up the binary event log file, normally /usr/adm/binary.errlog, follow the procedure described in the manpage for binlogd(8).

Hi,

I has been a very stange problem, couse the binary.errlog wasn't growing up. Now, I have started again the proccess I killed. The binary.errlog is being generated, and there aren't errors inside.

Thanks a lot to everybody. I will update this thread If there are more news.

Thank you.