Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

/var/adm/messages size

SOLVED
Go to solution
hareesh
Advisor

/var/adm/messages size

Hi,
Whatshould be the size limits for a "/var/adm/messages" file,I have a tru64 5.1 DS20e server which is having /var/adm/messages file size of 150mb.Will it afffect any system performance if i create a empt "messages" file??

KH
5 REPLIES
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: /var/adm/messages size

limit is filesystem limit ;-)

no it will not affect the performance (maybe only for seeking to end of file).

Please use the command

# cp /dev/null /var/adm/messages

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Abdul Rahiman
Esteemed Contributor

You may want to consider using a utility like "logrotate",which is available forLinux and some other unix flavours. This way you can preserve old versions of the /var/adm/messages file for a certain period of time that would be critical to diagnose errors happened in the past.

You might as well write a simple shell script to do the same and run via cron on a regular basis. Again consider avilable free space on /var filesystem before implementing these scripts. Peroformance won't be impacted.

Abdul Rahiman.
No unix, no fun
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

why not simply use a crontab entry? You don't need special application for that so lowering administration...
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Mohamed K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

It will not affect anything if you deleted it. However, I recommend to keep a copy just for reference if you needed to go through logs of old reboots

Mohamed
Tom Lahey
Occasional Visitor

Hi,
I guess you should do a good housekeeping for system logs, incl:
/var/adm/messages, /var/adm/binary.errlog

On certain ocassion the java's desta process uses 100% of CPU when the binary.errlog is huge.

Regards,
Tom