New Discussion юеВ

Re: what is the difference between "genvmunix & vmunix"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rambo_1
Regular Advisor

what is the difference between "genvmunix & vmunix"

Hi
There are two FC adapter in es40, I can find the disks which created in MSA1000 Array just only when I used "genvmunix" to boot ,if I boot up whit "vmunix" ,I can't find those disks in MSA1000 Array . I checked the /var/adm/messages , the report about that FC adapters is:"Function 0 isn't be configured" ,I guess that FC adapters didn't be loaded into kernel when used "vmunix" .
what should I do to settle this problem?

Thanks for your help...
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor
Solution

Rambo,

genvmunix stands for generic kernel and is used when you add new hardware. vmunix is if I am not mistaken a statically linked kernel. Boot genvmunix and build a new kernel with doconfig so that the vmunix will recognize your msa1000 too.

greetings,

Michael
Rambo_1
Regular Advisor

If I always use genvmunix to boot ,Is there any problem ?

thanks
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Rambo,

I once had to run a machine for some time with the generic kernel because of a trouble with a scsi adapter. I encountered no problems, however the normal generic kernel has no LAT built in.

greetings,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

this answer is within the administration guide.

genvmunix
= generic kernel for setup/installation etc.

vmunix
= kernel generated for your machine and hardware.

On v5.x systems there could be a problem with the device numbering or additional devices will be created during boot.... but why not reading the excellent documentation and learning the basics of unix?

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Rambo,

This is what I would do here.

First, save a copy of the running kernel.
# cp -p /vmunix /vmunix.save
(Be aware that you cannot boot your system from a kernel in any directory other than the root directory, so don't save it somewhere else)
shutdown the system
>>> b -fl 1 -fi genvmunix
# /sbin/bcheckrc
# /usr/sbin/doconfig -a
# cp -p /sys/SYSTEM_NAME/vmunix /
# /usr/sbin/shutdown -r now

=============================

The /usr/sbin/doconfig program builds a new kernel, optionally allowing you to edit the configuration file before the new kernel is built.
-a Specifies a noninteractive kernel build phase that enables all (mandatory and optional) kernel options automatically. The -a option creates a new system configuration file in /sys/conf/SYSTEM_NAME unless you also specify the -c option, in which case the configuration file uses the existing /sys/conf/SYSTEM_NAME. If you specify the -c option with a specific configuration file name along with the -a option, the kernel is built with the kernel options already included in the configuration file; you will not be prompted to edit the configuration file.

=============================

HTH,
Ross
Alexey Borchev
Regular Advisor

As far as I know, genvmunix knows all the devices supported by TRU64.

vmunix - only devices nesessary for Your system.

Genvmunix is bigger and (theoretically) slower than vmunix.
The fire follows shedule...