Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752794 Members
6433 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

why the quotafile so large?

Dong Hui

why the quotafile so large?

Hi friends. The quotafiles at / looks so large that they can't be backuped by veritas.
#ls -al
-rw-r--r-- 1 root operator 274877849600 Sep 16 16:43 quota.group
-rw-r----- 1 root operator 274877849600 Sep 16 16:49 quota.user

thanks for any suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: why the quotafile so large?

You don't really think you have an 274 Tera-byte quota file do you now? How big is the disk? :-).

The file is sparse (it has holes in it) try: ls -ls quota.user

The 1st column of the display will show the number of 1K blocks allocated to the file.

Or try: du -k quota.user

The UID is used as and index into the file. What is the highest UID with files on that filesystem?

Anyway... please verify you backup command. -- These files should not be backed up as regular files.
- Maybe Veritas shoudl knwo about sparse files?

Be sure to contact Veritas for further support if needed.

hth,
Hein.

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

a quick explanation of sparse files:

The "ls -sl" command can be used to determine whether a file is sparseor not. The "s" parameter displays physical disk
usage in 1024 byte units. A zero filled file will display a number that when multipled by 1024 is very close to the
allocated size displayed. The sparse file will display a disk usage number significantly smaller.

Examples:
#ls -ls !Zero filled file
1032 -rw-r--r-- 1 .. .. 1048582 Nov 14 09:23 sparse_file
(1032 * 1024) = 1056768 bytes

#ls -ls !sparse file
8 -rw-r--r-- 1 .. .. 1048582 Nov 14 09:23 sparse_file
(8 * 1024) = 8192 bytes

vdump/vrestore will handle the quota files correctly, in case of veritas you must exclude this files and regenerate it in case of emergency (restore of filesystem).
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Dong Hui

Thank Heuvel and Ralf Puchner:
Yes,I excluded these files from veritas backup policy and known that it won't affect the system. I notice the "size" of two files changed at SEP 16th. Before that day system and veritas looks well. I want to known why the attribute make change automaticly. I didn't add user recently. The latest UID is 236 and the grestest UID is 65536 for "nobody".

regards

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

you can use the quotacheck command (don't forget to modify /etc/fstab as described within the man-page) to verify the consistency.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }