Operating System - VMware
1752671 Members
5483 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2 EVA Arrays -- Imperative to have diferent LUN Numbers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

2 EVA Arrays -- Imperative to have diferent LUN Numbers?

Our Vmware Admin is saying LUN #s from differnt EVAs should be different. That if I already have a VDISK from EVA1 presented as LUN 1 - that I should NOT have a VDISK from EVA2 as still LUN1.

Is this true?
Hakuna Matata.
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 2 EVA Arrays -- Imperative to have diferent LUN Numbers?

Technically, it is not necessary. Those LUNs are visible on different bus/targets addresses and they have different LUN WWNs, so they can be identified clearly.

But: if you even want to use Continuous Access on those virtual disks, I agree that it is a good idea to use unique LUN addresses (not sure if they had that in mind, though ;-)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: 2 EVA Arrays -- Imperative to have diferent LUN Numbers?

One of the things that I have started doing is setting a range of lun numbers to use per site. It is not necessary to have different lun numbers as mentioned, but for a quicker indentification of a lun... it might be worth doing.

I.E.

Site 1 EVA uses 1 through 100
Site 2 EVA uses 101 through 200

If I am doing CA with a vdisk, I make sure that I match the LUN numbers... site 1: LUN 22 (assuning this is the replicated vdisk), in Site 2 I'll use LUN 122 for the replicated copy of that vdisk.

This works well in a 2 site 2 EVA environment, but if you hame multiple arrays per site... you may end up having to use the same LUN numbers anyway.

I also have environments that use the same LUN numbers from multipe EVA's... so it is not "imperative" to use different numbers.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)