1748041 Members
5165 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add disk space to VM 4.0

Chris Swenson
Advisor

Add disk space to VM 4.0

I have a VMware 4.0 on a DL 580 G5. Currently I have 6 146 gig disks set up as raid 10. I am going to add more disks and I want to increae the LUN size. Could someone point me to a white paper on how to do this in VMware?
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Are you running ESX4? or ESX4i?

If you want to add the new disks to the existing Disk Array, you will likely need to get a hold of a Smart Start CD to boot from so you can use the Array Conficuration Utility.

If you simply want to make a new Disk Array with the new disks and have a new logical drive, you can probably just reboot the server after the drives are in, run ORCA during the PORT and make the new array there.

Other options, though not fully supported... might be to install the ACU for Linux if you have ESX4. This won't work with ESXi.

I don't think there is a "whitepaper" on such a task, though there are plenty of information on using the ACU... or at least there should be.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Chris Swenson
Advisor

I am running VSX. If I use the smartstart I would have to shut down half a dozen servers.
I thought there would be a way to do it hot.
Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

Do you only have one server? Are you running vsphere?
Chris Swenson
Advisor

So far only the one server using vsphere.
I am piloting some secondary infrastructure servers.
Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

I am not sure but I think you would have to bring down the server to configure the array at the hardware level. You should be able to expand an existing Datastore through vSphere if you build a separate array with the new disk set.
Markus M.
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, but I have to agree Gordon. the only way to add the additional storage is to configure the array on hardware level.
So imo there is no way to get around the vm shutdown.

regards
Markus
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

If it is a "Pilot", then why can't you shut them down for a few minutes?

If you are running ESX, then you have a service console. Did you try the ACU for Linux? It will require a few system changes, but otherwise... should work. I am trying to install it in my demo lab, but am having some trouble getting the ilo to cooperate properly.

I'll try to repost if I get it working.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)