1747997 Members
4254 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding RAM to ESX 3.5 server leads to loss of storage

Mel Nugent
Regular Advisor

Adding RAM to ESX 3.5 server leads to loss of storage

Last week I added more RAM to one of the ESX servers in the cluster and now cannot see the SAN storage.
I have 4 HP bl680c servers in a c7000 chassis. All running ESX 3.5 update 5 (3.5.0, 207095).
After the server rebooted, with no console errors and new memory being recognised OK, when I went back into VI client I got the error "The VMWare ESX server does not have persistant storage" Rescanned HBAs from vi client and the cmd line and still nothing. Went back to the old memory and still nothing. Reseated the HBA mezzanine card also.
I have 2 Cisco MDS 9124e switches in the C7000 chassis. The port for bay 4 shows as "externallydisabled" in both switches. Working OK for other 3 esx blades and there have been no zoning changes made. I restarted one of the Cisco switches but it made no difference.

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding RAM to ESX 3.5 server leads to loss of storage

Hello,
probably time to contact vmware support?

Have you checked vmkernel logs? (/var/log/vmkernel)
Which HBA;s do you use? Qlogic?

Jan
Mel Nugent
Regular Advisor

I have call open with HP.
Cards are Emulex lpe1105-hp.

When I go into the OA for any of the 4 blades they show the mezzanine slot 2 as "no card present"
This is the same on the 3 blades that are working OK and the 4th blade with the issue.
There is a 5th blade, an integrity BL860c, running VMS. In OA, this card shows as present and working OK.
Waiting on HP to advise next step.

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Pretty strange.
Do you have all fimrwares up-to-date? (chasis, blades, ILOs?)

Jan
Mel Nugent
Regular Advisor

Logged call with HP. Had to replace all HBA cards. 8 in total across 2 chassis. Also 2 that were sent out had same issue.

Basically even though the server could see in BIOS and ESX could see it the OA of the chassis didn't see and so couldn't use it.

All working again now.