Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - VMware
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup a running VM using rsync

SOLVED
Go to solution
'chris'
Super Advisor

Backup a running VM using rsync

hi

Has someone tried to backup a running VM from ESX 3.5 using rsync?
7 REPLIES
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Re: Backup a running VM using rsync

I just did a quick test with an linux VM running on ESXi4 from NFS storage. The copy booted without any problems. Interesting, very interesting.
'chris'
Super Advisor

@wobbe

How did you copied, have you done using rsync?
wobbe
Respected Contributor
Solution

Yep. I did.

rsync -r /mnt/lv0/linux/ /mnt/lv0/copy/

This was on the NSF storage server using rsync 2.6.8. (CentOS 5.4)
The running VM was also CentOS.
'chris'
Super Advisor

Have you really backup a running VM?

I've tried to backup with rsync directly from ESX 3.5 to an other linux machine and I'm getting these problems:

# rsync -r ssh SRV12 root@192.168.1.11:/var
Password:
rsync: link_stat "/vmfs/volumes/49172c57-524d3fc3-6cfc-001e4f1285d0/ssh" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync: send_files failed to open "/vmfs/volumes/49172c57-524d3fc3-6cfc-001e4f1285d0/SRV12/SRV12-000001-delta.vmdk": Device or resource busy (16)
rsync: send_files failed to open "/vmfs/volumes/49172c57-524d3fc3-6cfc-001e4f1285d0/SRV12/SRV12-350c5ca2.vswp": Device or resource busy (16)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Chris, he has run rsync inside the VM. Whether that gave a (crash-)consistent result I doubt.

Your command has failed because the files which make up a VM are intentionally locked by the virtualization layer. Even if they were not locked, you would not get a reliable result if the VM makes changes to the life file system.

The work-around is to create a 'snaphot' of the VM. The virtualization layer will create new delta/REDO files into which it stores all data that is written - this means that the original file is not changed so you can create a 'crash-consistent' copy. Well, and of course it now unlocks the files so you can read from them.

After the backup is complete, delete the snapshots and all writes collected in the delta/REDO files will be merged to the original disk. And the files will be locked again ;-)
'chris'
Super Advisor

Can I do it a snapshot of a running VM using rsnapshot from http://rsnapshot.org/ ?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It is my understanding that rsnapshot's idea is to create a full backup of file systems and then make incremental backups which look like other full backups due to using hard links for files already copied.
I think today's buzzword is 'de-duplication' :-)

The main data of a VM is encapsulated in one or more large files. You cannot really do 'incremental backups' - well, with ESX4 and changed block tracking it is possible, but that is just a framework, no complete application.

Chris, can we step back a moment and have a better look at your configuration (what OS and data is in the VM) and requirements for backups? Maybe there is a 'better' way to do backups than running rsync - the ESX service console is not a generic Linux environment for all kinds of applications.