Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - VMware
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balancing ESX LUNs across controllers on EVA8000

Mel Nugent
Regular Advisor

Balancing ESX LUNs across controllers on EVA8000

I want to balance the Vdisks on the EVA across the controllers as some were set to no preference and some to failover/failback etc.

I have 2 EVA 8000 with CA replication. Each one has a c7000 blade enclosure with 4xBL680c blades running ESX3.5
So far I have listed all the presented VMware Vdisks on one EVA and then grouped all the Vdisks by DR group (as I think all Vdisks in a DR group have the same owning controller). I have then set all DR group1 to controller A failover/failback then DR group2 to controller B Failover/Failback and so on. Any Vdisks not replicated I have mixed between A and B.
On the ESX side I have set all Vdisks to fixed and set the preferred path to either WWWN ending in 8,9,A,B, for controller A and ending in C,D,E,F for controller B.

I think this should leave me with Vdisks balanced across controller and also across port on each controller. Can anyone confirm this is OK?
Should I also set the destination replicated Vdisks to failover/failback also and balance across controllers even though they are not presented?
Thanks
4 REPLIES
Oscar_Maimó
Regular Advisor

Re: Balancing ESX LUNs across controllers on EVA8000

First of all:
What version of ESX do you have?
ESX 3.5.x or ESX 4.x
This detail is very important because storage architecture changes a lot between versions.
Greetings
Oscar
Mel Nugent
Regular Advisor

Thanks Oscar.

I have 2 EVA 8000 with CA replication. Each one has a c7000 blade enclosure with 4xBL680c blades running ESX3.5
3.5.0, 207095 being full version details.
Oscar_Maimó
Regular Advisor

Be carefully with multipath options in ESX 3.5. This version is not ALUA compliant, it means it is possible that a host may access a LUN from a proxy controller resulting in a performance degradation because the read request must go across mirror port to the owner controller. Also if a LUN is acceded from two different hosts, across different controllers path trashing may ocurr, resulting in performance degradation too.
Greetings
Oscar
Mel Nugent
Regular Advisor

I have balanced the LUNS as described and will run EVA perf on them to see if any other amendments need to be made.