New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing the name of the virtual machine and it's files

SOLVED
Go to solution
r23733
Occasional Contributor

Changing the name of the virtual machine and it's files

Hi,

We have built a virtual machine recently on ESXi 4.1 host.  We have made some mistake while giving the name for virtual machine. So I need help to change the name of the VM and its files  VMDKs, flat-VMDKs and VMX while the virtual machine is up and running.

Could someone please provide the solution for this?

4 REPLIES 4
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

First rename the VM inside the vSphere GUI by clicking the right mouse button and select rename. This will nog change the directory nehind the VM...

However if you do a storage migration (storage vMotion) the destination directory will be the new name and all files will be renamed...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Jags_21
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

Only option is to do svmotion, before you start the svmotion, rename the VM by right clicking on the VM which is to be renamed and later do a svmotion this will change all the names related to the VM.

Note: svmotion or cold migration only changes the names of the virtual machine files when the destination datastore is different from the original.

Thanks,

----------

If you like this post please click on the kudos star on the left pane of this post

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

r23733
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, that solved the issue.
r23733
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your solution.