Operating System - VMware
1752777 Members
5879 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Converting Dell2950 Windows Server 2008 DC to VSphere 4.1 on HP c7000 BladeSystem Issues (p2V)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kumdist
Valued Contributor

Converting Dell2950 Windows Server 2008 DC to VSphere 4.1 on HP c7000 BladeSystem Issues (p2V)

I have a Dell 2950 running Windows Server 2008 R2 and is a domain controller with DNS. It doesnt have any AD roles on it.

There is only one raid 1 drive with 2 partitions - a) System 100Mb "NTFS"  b) C drive  67GB "NTFS.

I have tried cold clone but comes up with error Unable to determine OS. Running vmware standalone converter in Directory Services restore mode fails with error " Failed to createVSS snapshot of source volume"

I am in the process of converting all my physical machines (Dell/IBM etc.. ) onto a HP C7000 enc.

Any tips?

3 REPLIES 3
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: Converting Dell2950 Windows Server 2008 DC to VSphere 4.1 on HP c7000 BladeSystem Issues (p2V)

Hi,

i would check the vmware KB archive, for example :

Conversion fails with the error: Converter unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume

VMware Converter fails with the error: Unable to determine guest OS

Hope the links will help you.

Michal Kapalka (mikap)

Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi,

This could be with some many reasons, few are listed below which might lead to resolve the issues

Check if there is any unformatted volumes de-select those.

If the source machine having software mirroring break them and try and cloning.

Check if any third party services running disable them and try it out.

Check if enough free space are available on the source machine drives.

Thanks,

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Kumdist
Valued Contributor
Solution

In the end, we considered it better to create a new VM and have it promoted to a DC. The entire datacenter is now running on 5x HP BL620c G7 blades and VMware vSphere 5.0 U1