7016 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL 580 G5 with ESXi 5.0 show Memory warnings

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello,

maybe irrelevant question, but you you tried to reset sensors in hw monitoring gui? I saw the issue with disk controllers which needs to have sensors reseted when rebuild was finished. just fondering... :)

Jan 

allencrawford
Occasional Advisor

Yes.

Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

We had this issue with a DL580 G5.  Its a pity, but we just have to ignore the alarm.  HP refuses to help as it is out of support but it quite clearly isn't a hardware problem.  I installed Windows with SMH and everything tests good.  Using the SmartStart diagnostics everything tests good.  NVRAM cleared - Everything good.  Boot to ESXi with the CIM providers.... 'UNKNOWN' warning for every dimm slot.

allencrawford
Occasional Advisor

Just a quick update (though not very useful).  Since the creation of this thread, VMware has released ESXi 5.0 U1 and HP has already released a new CIM provider bundle (version 1.1.2-4).  I've applied this CIM bundle to a freshly installed ESXi 5.0 U1 (from VMware's image) and the memory warning bug still exists.

allencrawford
Occasional Advisor

For those that still care, I've been told via my open case with HP that a code fix for this is supposedly in place.  It is undergoing internal testing right now with a completion date set for around 13-Apr.  It is not clear to me if it will then be publicly released or if I'm going to be asked to test it as well.  In either case, hopefully a public fix is near.

MDB53404
Visitor

I am also having this issue, and it's holding up our rollout of ESXi as well since we primarily have 580 G5 servers.

Today's adventure was finding that Update Manager can not download patches using the source http://vibsdepot.hp.com/index.xml because basically one of the relativepaths in the XML is broken somewhere for one of the ILO files... so in order to avoid 404 errors and actually have it work, I had to add four sources, one for each bundle.

So yes, please let us all know how to get updated copies of the CIM providers for this once available.

odenbach
Occasional Advisor

I can confirm the path problem with the HP vibsdepot, I get the same problem. Would be good to know that someone from HP is caring about it.

allencrawford
Occasional Advisor

I can confirm the issue with the root folder of the vibsdepot too.  I was all excited to learn of the depot, only to have my excitement squashed immediately.  But I'll live with multiple VIB sources for now before I fight that battle.  Tomorrow is the supposed day for new CIM providers...crossing fingers.

MDB53404
Visitor

Yes, the root folder of the VIBS Depot is a huge bummer - I went as far as digging into the various XML files, and what looks to be the problem is that in 3 of the 4 bundles, they did not include the correct RelativePath information, so when VUM tries to download, it tries:

http://vibsdepot.hp.com/char-hpilo-500.9.0.0.9-1OEM.500.0.0.434156.x86_64.vib as opposed to the correct:

http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hp-esxi5.0uX-bundle-1.1.2-4/char-hpilo-500.9.0.0.9-1OEM.500.0.0.434156.x86_64.vib

Please post if you do get a CIM update - I will be looking to pounce on it immediately.

Stuff like this really makes me wonder how G5s were tested, since the minute you install the HP image of ESXi5 and add the host to vCenter, it lights up with alarms from this...  it gives me reservations on how extensively the rest of the system testing for these upgraded ESX versions were tested.

MDB53404
Visitor

Hi Allen,

Any new news on a release date for the fix for the memory warnings?