108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL165 G7 / ESXi 4.1 fans at high speed problem

Rolf Genster
Advisor

DL165 G7 / ESXi 4.1 fans at high speed problem

Hi,

I've got a problem i can't resolve:

On our 3 new G7 Servers with ESXi 4.1 the fans run for max. 12h with normal low speed, and then go berserk and stay there. This happens regardless if the server has load or not. Even whith no VMs running.
On normal "warm" reboot fans go at 4.500 rpm again for some hours.

The environment could not be of influense, the server rack ist climated at constant 18┬░C.

Hardware: DL165 G7, 1 CPU (Opteron 6136), 32GB RAM, 4 HDDs

BIOS is the latest 037 from 09-06-2010, after flashing BIOS defaults loaded. I tried serveral settings but this didn't do the trick so far.

Could someone help me out?

regards,

Rolf
15 REPLIES 15
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you have the latest firmware, and this problem is persistent, you have probably two posibilities :

1, test downgrade the firmware

2, open a HW call directly in HP.

PS: which type of Power profile do you have ???

max performance, balanced .....

mikap
Rolf Genster
Advisor

Hi Michal,

I played with all settings i could imagine, PowerNow, Performance Profiles etc. This didn't change anything. Since all Servers have to work now I have not that much time playing with everything. This week another server will arrive, and that one will be playground until this issue is fixed.
The only thing I didn't try by now is to take the HP-ESXi 4.1 installation-CD, I used the original VMWare-CD. I tried to install the HP-Version on a DL120 G6, but that resulted always with a kernel-panik after 2Min. uptime with a fresh installation, me doing nothing. Weird.

b.t.w. We have 8 DL165 G6 running with ESXi 4.1, and they do their job as good as they could do.

Have a nice week!

Rolf

Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi Rolf,

i can really understand what you mean if your servers is in production, there is very small time window for downtime ( planed / unplaned ).

We are using mostly Proliant class ( DL 380 /580 ), but if i installed the Vmware i always done it from the original Vmware CD.

hope you will find the solution.

mikap

Rolf Genster
Advisor

Hi again, give me the time, and if there's a solution I'll find it. Problem is: TIME!
If I get thru it I'll post it, if someone else already got there: plz share, no sense in developing the wheel over and over.

cheers!
b.probst

Hi,

same problem here: after some time fans run with full speed. I also tried different power profiles without success.

I also tested the HP vmware version. There's again this weird kernel panic after 2 min uptime as with DL120 G6 of Rolf and DL 165 G6 (another server of me)

Unfortunately no solutions here until now.

Regards
Bernd

Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi,

HP Proliant 100 series G7 servers incorporated an integrated thermal technology with HP DIMM modules depending on the data sent from the thermal sensor on HP DIMM modules the fan speeds are altered, in case there is an third party DIMM modules installed these might not have the thermal sensors and FAN speed runs to full throttle (the BIOS in ProLiant G7 servers verifies the presence of the thermal DIMM sensor during POST)

Also check if any optional FANs were installed and those are seated properly.

Regards,
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Rolf Genster
Advisor

Uh-oh. My customers will call me names if I tell them they have to replace 1TB+ of RAM. Besides, the sensors show no abnormal temperatures on RAM. Anyway, I ordered the optional fans today. I got a hint that airflow maybe suboptimal if only 1 Processor is installed. I'll post if this changes fanspeed behavior (and also if not).

Thanks for your hint!

Rolf
b.probst

Hi,

I also found this: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02157764/c02157764.pdf

There's written on page 12: If one fan fails, all the other fans default to high speed so the server remains within thermal specifications.

But I'm not sure if it's a hardware related problem. When starting the server without booting vmware the fans do not start running at fool speed.

BTW I'm using original HP RAM modules.

Regards,
Bernd

Rolf Genster
Advisor

Hi again, just an update:
I installed the optional fan kit. This also didn't do the trick. Since I'm running out of options, so I have to consider replacing all server units. Nice.