4508 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESX 4.1 Install on SD card

Kasiau
Advisor

ESX 4.1 Install on SD card

Hi

I am trying to install ESX 4.1 on a 4Gb SD card within a BL490c G6 blade server and is not working.

Has anyone out there install an ESX 4.1 on a SD card and works perfectly? If so please do provide me the logic.

Please help.

regards
4 REPLIES 4
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: ESX 4.1 Install on SD card

Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

I assume you mean ESXi.
Start with the HP version of the installation media instead of the vmware download.
You can get a copy from the HP Software Depot site.
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVM06

Boot from this and follow the installation options to install to the SD card.
Kasiau
Advisor

Hi,

Most of the articles mentioned is good but rather points to installing the ESXi to the SD card.

What I wanted was, if and can install ESX 4.1 embedded unto the SD card.

The ESX 4.1 then boots from the SD card as there is no hard disk installed within the BL 490c blade server.

Thanks and do appreciate any feedback and directions.

KS
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

Not sure what you mean. ESX embedded is ESXi. As far as I am aware vmware do not support the installation of Full ESX to USB/SD media.
If you a concerned about not having the full console session be aware that vmware have specifically stated that v4.1 is the last release of ESX to have both ESX and ESXi code, the future is purely the ESXi hypervisor. So you might as well start getting used to the equivalent tools in ESXi.