Operating System - VMware
1748060 Members
5146 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ESXi 4.0 on HP G71-351CA Notebook PC

Syed Haider_1

ESXi 4.0 on HP G71-351CA Notebook PC

I have recently bought HP G71-351CA Notebook PC. I am trying to install ESXi on it. The ESXi boot DVD go through the loading process but reports that the Network hardware not recognized. The installation stops at this point with going any further.

I am very new to virtualization technology. Can any one help me to proceed further?

Thanks.

Syed/
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Why would you even want to run ESXi on a notebook. You would not be able to use it for anything else while the OS was running.

There is no command line interface, there is no graphical interface.

You'd have to attach to it from another pc.

Look at VMware Server 2.0.2 if you need to "play" with virtualization. It runs on top of Windows or Linux.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

@Sved, understandable that you want to learn about virtualization, but ESXi is built with the assumption that it will be run on server hardware. Very little work is done (if any) to round out support of things like client versions of NICs, let alone anything else. From a VMware perspective, check out VMware Server or Workstation, but stay away from the ESX family until you have the right hardware...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If your notebook provides processor hardware virtualization (I am not familiar with yours, never even heard that name, sorry), you could install Windows (7), VMware Workstation 7 and then run ESX/ESXi (or Linux, Windows, ...) as a guest OS.

You won't be able to power on 64-bit guest VMs running on the ESX/ESXi VM, but if you want to learn a bit it is a great way instead of sitting next to a noisy server.

For example, I've used it to test and improve my automatic installation scripts.