Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - VMware
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESXi 4 vs VMware Server

DJMC
Regular Advisor

ESXi 4 vs VMware Server

Hi,
I have a Proliant ML115 with 3GB ram and a quad core CPU. I would appreciate your opinions as to which host OS I should install.
I am trying to set up a small domain with a number of windows and Linux server’s (VM’s), primarily for self education and testing.
I would intend having at least one windows 2008 domain controller/DNS server, a file and print server, a backup server and some Linux server’s.

As I said this is for self education so I would prefer to use ESXi but so far, with only two VM’s (win 2008), this is unusabley slow. Should I switch to a Linux host OS and run VMware Server?

Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
D
3 REPLIES
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ESXi 4 vs VMware Server

In my opinion a native/bare metal solution (ESXi) should perform better than hosted (Server), because the bare metal solution somewhat cuts out the middle-man (host OS) - more resources available for guests. Provided that I have supported hardware, I would probably choose ESXi.
DJMC
Regular Advisor

Hi Skipz,
Thanks for your replay,
Do you reckon that 3Gb ram would be enough to support 4 or 5 VM's?
D
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

I reckon 3G could fall a bit short for 4-5 guests. Windows Server 2008 alone requires at least 512M of RAM. I have an old HP server with 4G of RAM running VMware Server 2 with 4-6 guests (mostly Linux, requiring between 128M and 1G of RAM each) and RAM resources are stretched pretty much to the limit.