1752569 Members
4962 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP proliant DL380 G6 - Purple Screen error on ESX 4.0 Server

Hermi Jaffri
Occasional Contributor

HP proliant DL380 G6 - Purple Screen error on ESX 4.0 Server

We are encountered the unexpected shutdown issue on Hp Proliant DL380 G6 that produced purple screen error. Server running on VMware ESX 4.0.

PSOD error: Exception Type 18 #MC: Machine Check Exception

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
9 REPLIES 9
Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi,

PSOD with Machine Check Exception is most of the time related to the hardware issue, I would suggest o get touch with the hardware support team for further diagnosis, also find the kb article which would give you some more info

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005184

regards,
Jagadish

PS do not forget to assign points if this answers your question
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Hermi Jaffri
Occasional Contributor

Thanks alot for your info pjagadish.

As per VMware support investigation, this issue related with hardware problem. This issue also had been raised to HP and their recommended solution is to update BIOS firmware version as there are no hardware errors. The BIOS version installed on our server was released on 03/27/2009 and there are several revisions after that. The latest being release on 15 Nov 2010.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884082&swItem=MTX-80628b8757704b989f05de0bca&prodNameId=3884083&swEnvOID=4006&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=5

The roll-up updates from 1 June 2009 to 15 Nov 2010 might not exactly refer to our PSOD with Machine Check Exception Type 18 #MC error. Now that I am considering whether should proceed to update the BIOS or not.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated!!
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Hermi,
definitelly go to newest bios. Event if not mentioned in readme, it could solve your problem.
Other way - do you have ESX updated with latest updates (ESX4u2 + november 2010 updates)? Consider as welll updating any special card - FC HBA or NIC with vmware driver CD.

Jan
Hermi Jaffri
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to perform online bios update on Vmware ESX 4.0 server? If so, which one is recommended method to update the BIOS,either online or offline update?

Anyone here has done online bios update before?

Thanks for advise.

Regards,
Hermi
Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi,

on vmware platform there is no online update process, the best option is always download the latest firmware maintenance dvd and boot from that media, you can download the same from below URL

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1844067&swItem=MTX-98ce7a50a19a4d4994aaad8d0e&prodNameId=1844068&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

I would request to cross check from the HP Proliant Support if that is the latest or any other version is released

Regards,
Jagadish
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello,
i do not agree. In case of ESX4 with service console (NOT ESXi) you can update all firmwares via RedHat linux update packages. So choose RH4 64bit when downloading bios update and run it as root from service console. Of course reboot is required.

Jan
Hermi Jaffri
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Our DL380 G6 server running on VMware ESX 4.0.0 [Release build-164009 x86_64] with many VM guest (Win2k3 + Linux). All this productions VM is very important to us.

Does anybody succesfully update the BIOS before or done some testing for DL380 G6 that running VMware ESX 4.0 Release build-164009? If so, please share the experience.

Lets say the the BIOS update process has failed, does it will effect the VMware ESX 4.0 server and the VM guest ? or maybe we can revert back to previous BIOS version.

Thanks & Regards,
Hermi
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hermi,
your ESX version is very old. Do you have any specific reason why do not update? Current version je 294885 (patches from november 2010). I think it could help as well.

Regarding bios - why do you still hesitate? You alredy have problem and need to fix it.

jan
Hermi Jaffri
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I really appreciate your advice and comment.

I do not hesitate but just beware before I get shot. Of course full backup will be perform before proceed as there's still a possibility for failure even had tested it many times.

Please take a look "DL380 G6 BIOS Upgrade ESX Failure" at below URL:
http://communities.vmware.com/message/1541922

Regards,
Hermi