Operating System - VMware
1752777 Members
6291 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP's ESXi 5.0 ISO image - "Write failed file:/etc/vmware/vmware.lic" when adding license to host

dcolpitts
Frequent Advisor

HP's ESXi 5.0 ISO image - "Write failed file:/etc/vmware/vmware.lic" when adding license to host

I've downloaded HP's ESXi 5.0 installer CD (5.0_Aug_2011_ESXi_HD_USB_SDImgeInstlr_Z7550_00204.iso) from the HP software depot and installed it on one of my test Proliants here using the default settings that weasel presents.  When the installer is completed and ESXi has rebooted, I connect to the host via the vSphere client.  The first I went to do is apply our Enterprise Plus license key and I noticed that a pre-existing key already exists (H541G-40353-08081-0PAAK-AEQ4Z).  When I fill in our key and click apply, I get the following error:

"A general system error occurred: Write failed file:/etc/vmware/vmware.lic"
Call "LicenseManager.UpdateLicense" for object "ha-license-manager" on ESXi "10.10.10.101" failed.

Upon further investigation after SSHing into the host, I discovered that /etc/vmware/vmware.lic appears to be flagged as readonly (-r--r--r--) when viewed as ls -la from a console session.

I then wiped my test server, and reinstalled clean using VMware's iso (VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.0.0-469512.x86_64.iso).  I can confirm that in the VMware build, /etc/vmware/vmware.lic is flagged as readwrite (-rw------T) when viewed as ls -la from a console session (side note - the VMware ISO uses a license key of 00000-00000-00000-00000-00000).

To fix this, I had to change the permissions on /etc/vmware/vmware.lic in the HP build of ESXi 5.0 using the following two commands:

chmod 600 /etc/vmware/vmware.lic
chmod +t /etc/vmware/vmware.lic

Once I did this, I was able to successfully install my Enterprise License key.

HP - you need to fix your OEM install image that you have posted in the Software Depot.

dcc

6 REPLIES 6
deceit
Advisor

Re: HP's ESXi 5.0 ISO image - "Write failed file:/etc/vmware/vmware.lic" when adding licen

I can confirm i am experiencing this with my image too.

This is a shop stopper at the moment due to the problem reappearing as soon as you reboot.

I've opened a support request with vmware to see what they suggest.

dcolpitts
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP's ESXi 5.0 ISO image - "Write failed file:/etc/vmware/vmware.lic" when adding licen

Let me know what they come back with...

dcc
AutoMatt

I had the same issue..  the temporary workaround was fine until you had to apply a patch.

HP has released a more permanent patch and claims that a new ISO will be out in mid-September (any day now?).

http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hp-esxi-5.0-license/

The patch seems to do the trick... I imported it into Update Manager and added it to my baseline group.

meteorx
Occasional Contributor

I have downloaded the latest patch and try to install it using the described command via putty. However I get an error:

# esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/hp-esx-license-1.0.5.zip
 [MetadataDownloadError]
 Could not download from depot at zip:/tmp/hp-esx-license-1.0.5.zip?index.xml, skipping (('zip:/tmp/hp-esx-license-1.0.5.zip?index.xml', '', "Error extracting index.xml from /tmp/hp-esx-license-1.0.5.zip: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/hp-esx-license-1.0.5.zip'"))
        url = zip:/tmp/hp-esx-license-1.0.5.zip?index.xml
 Please refer to the log file for more details.

The file is in the tmp directory, and there is an index.xml inside the zipfile.

Tsukraw
Occasional Visitor

You ran "esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/hp-esx-license-1.0.5.zip"  the file name is 1.0-5.zip  (DASH 5 not DOT 5)

I did the exact same thing.  For some reason if you copy paste from the txt file it changes it to a . instead of a -

Wilson010
Occasional Visitor

Hey guy,

Do you know the new iso is ready?

Regards,

Wilson