1748080 Members
5055 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Hard Disk issues

HMS1
Occasional Contributor

Hard Disk issues

We are running VMWARE ESXI 5.1 Build 1065491   installed on our HP ProLiant DL380e Gen8 with 6 Hewlett Packard 600GB 6G SAS 15K 3.5in SC ENT HDD (PN 652620-B21) I have noticed 2 of the drives have got solid Amber leds on them and in ESXI I am seeing an Alert :-

Hd1.pngHd2.pngHd3.pngHd4.png

The system is setup with Raid 5 with a shot swap drive which I belive should kick in in the event of a harddisk falure.

Please cna you let me know what the Gray ? by Drive 4 and 1 mean and if this means they are failing if there is a way of making the spare drive work? 

The versions

VMware ESXi, 5.1.0 Build 1065491
Vsphire Client 5.1.0 Build 1064113
This is the free version of ESXI.

Please do let me know if you need any further information.

2 REPLIES 2
RaviTyagi
HPE Pro

Re: Hard Disk issues

Hello HMS1 ,

Greetings !

Did you check the health of the disk on ilo ?

Have you applied the latest firmware and Driver combination for the ESXI  .

Determining Network/Storage firmware and driver version in ESXi 4.x and later =>(https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1027206)

Esxi 5.1 is no longer supported by VMware

End of General Support for vSphere 5.0 and vSphere 5.1 =>(https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2145103)

Please upgrade the system to 6.0 MInimum for contnued support .

Regards,

RRT 

I am an HPE Employee 

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

HMS1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hard Disk issues

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the reply, unfortunatly we do not use ilo

I have swapped out one of the drives as we are going to decomission the server over the next month.

I replaced one of the drives last Fridat but I am still getting the following messeges in ESXI ing tDrive faul on other drived Please see images.

The system was setup to use 5 drive in the RAID and a HOT Spare which appears to be being used.  at this point I am unsure if the system is saying Drive fault on every drive due to the fact one drive is faulty or if it is the system isself failing.

The only way I know of telling the Server it no longer has a spare drive is to shut it down and go into the RAID setup in BIOS.

Can anyone tell me what the messages mean in the screen shots as I do not want to shut the box down as I do not know if it will come back up again.