Operating System - VMware
1751798 Members
5496 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Management Agents v8.5.1 will not install on ESX 4.0 Update 2

C Burchell

Management Agents v8.5.1 will not install on ESX 4.0 Update 2

When trying to install ProLiant Management Agents for ESX v8.5.1 on an ESX 4.0 Update 2 host I receive the following error:

[root@SERVERNAME 851]# ./install851vibs.sh --install

HP Insight Manager Agent 8.5.1-1 Installer for VMware ESX
Target System is VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-261974
Server: ProLiant ML370 G5

This script will now attempt to set ESX Host in Maintenance Mode
for IM agents install.
Do you wish to continue? (y/n) y

Insufficient arguments.
Insufficient arguments.
An active Virtual Machine [ ] has been detected on host [SERVERNAME]

The ESX host will be put into maintenance mode
to be able to install/uninstall the agents.
The Virtual Machines must be either Powered off or Suspended
by the operator to allow the transition
of the ESX host into maintenance mode.
Please modify the state of the VMs to be Suspended or powered off
and then retry Agents Installation.

[root@SERVERNAME 851]#

The host has already been placed in maintenance mode yet the package will not install.

Any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13
Shadders
Advisor

I had a similar issue with SLES 11 SP1.

I ended up installing an older version of the agents & then upgrading to the latest version.

C Burchell

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to uninstall the existing agents v8.4.0 but I receive an error at the end:

----------
HP Insight Manager agents have been unconfigured successfully!

~/hpsw/hpmgmt/840
Uninstalling HP Insight Manager Agents bulletin [hp-classic-mgmt-solution-840.21.2217] ...
....FAILED
------------

If I try to then reinstall the 8.40 agents I get:

-------------
HP Insight Manager Agents [hp-classic-mgmt-solution-840.21.2217] is installed
Attempted bundle [hp-classic-mgmt-solution-840.21.2217] is same as the currently installed bundle [hp-classic-mgmt-solution-840.21.2217]. NO ACTION TAKEN.
-------------

Last time I had this happen I had to manually rebuild the ESX host from scratch.

Any other suggestions? HP, are you there?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

C, you should better open a call with HP so that it gets properly registered in their tracking system. If a HP employee responds, that's great, but HP has not promised to actively monitor any posts and respond to them.
C Burchell

Uwe - thanks I will do as you suggested.

I did, in fact, call HP support when I first ran into this issue. They told me they couldn't help and suggested I post something in this forum...

I'll go back to square one with tech support.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Oh, please don't get me wrong:
I am happy to read about your "heads up".
C Burchell

An update and solution to my own posting...

It appears to be a bug in the HP software. The v8.5.1 agents install script can't seem to deal with _any_ VMs being registered on the host.

I managed to successfully upgrade the host from v8.4.0 > v8.5.1 by de-registering all VMs on the host in question, then running the 8.5.1 install script. The v8.5.1 install script then successfully uninstalled v8.4.0 and installed v8.5.1.

I then had to manually re-register all VMs in the datastore (vmware-cmd -s register PATH-TO-VMX).
Robert W. Eastman Jr._2
Frequent Advisor

If you ever get the

~/hpsw/hpmgmt/840
Uninstalling HP Insight Manager Agents bulletin [hp-classic-mgmt-solution-840.21.2217] ...
....FAILED

which has happened to me numerous times and after extensive research and playing around I found that you can manually uninstall all the RPM's associated with the HP Agents by performing the following:

List the installed RPM's that belong to HP Agents with the following command:

rpm -qa | grep hp

You will see a screen similiar to the one below, but remember that the actual RPM's listed will be different depending on the version installed:

vmware-esx-drivers-scsi-hpsa-400.3.6.14.29vmw-2vmw.2.17.261974
hpsmh-6.1.0-103
hp-agents-config-8.5.1-1
hp-snmp-agents-8.5.0-75.vmware4x
vmware-esx-drivers-ata-pata-hpt3x2n-400.0.3-1.0.4.164009
hpilo-400.8.5.0.1VMW-164009
hp-health-8.5.0-77.vmware4x
hp-smh-templates-8.5.0.13-15

You will need to uninstall all of the RPM's listed with hp??????. DO NOT UNINSTALL THE ones that start with vmware-esx???

To uninstall the rpm:

rpm -e hp-smh-templates-8.5.0.13-15

Some rpm's must be uninstalled before others. If you happen to try to uninstall one before the other you will get a warning about a dependency. Just remove the dependency first and then retry to uninstall the rpm again. Once you have all the RPM's uninstalled, do the uninstall of the agents again and it will complete successfully so you can install the new version.

Dream On Alice This Ain't Wonderland
(NTFS) No Time For Stupidity
jkopp

I was also getting a similar error to "Uninstalling HP Insight Manager Agents bulletin [hp-classic-mgmt-solution-840.21.2217] ...
....FAILED"

ran "rpm -qa | grep -i hp" and removed all of the HP RPM packages with "rpm -e " (an ILO package was the last one hanging me up). Only uninstall the ones that start with "HP".

I was still getting the original error after all HP RPMs were removed and found this on an ESX thread.
"esxupdate --vib-view query | grep hp"

I ran that command and found the same ILO application still running and ran "esxupdate remove -b "

It prompted me to reboot. After the reboot, the 851 agents installed as they should.

My HP web chat experience was terrible. The phone support was OK, but the issue was still not resolved.

I appreciate everyone's efforts in this forum to help resolve the issue. You've saved me a bunch of time! Thanks for the advice. I was not looking forward to a full host rebuild.
David Niven DE

Check out the VM description text. The installer seems not working with CRLF and other special characters.

See

Buggy Management Agents Installer http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1439756

Installation of HP Management Agents for VMware ESX 4.x failed
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1444879