1752751 Members
5057 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 5.1 VMWare ESX Cluster turns Orphan

KenMacEachern
Frequent Advisor

SIM 5.1 VMWare ESX Cluster turns Orphan

I have a six-node ESX cluster that has five of the nodes turn to orphan within a day of discovery. If I delete all of them and re-discover, they will initially show up correctly but will all change to Orphan-XXX-HostName within a day. I'm guessing that there is something about the cluster that is confusing SIM since it leaves one node alone and orphans the other 5. Any ideas? I have a dozen other ESX hosts that are OK but this is the only cluster I've got.

I do have one other ESX host that loses its name and reverts back to the serial number. It seems to lose its IP address at the same time. Some sort of a DNS problem? This one host is at the other end of a not 100% reliable radio link from the SIM and DNS servers.
8 REPLIES 8
KenMacEachern
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, I had a typo. SIM version is 5.3
KenMacEachern
Frequent Advisor

No one has ever seen this? Any reasons why a node would change to an orphan?

Anyone have a VMWare cluster being monitored?
htulumba
Advisor

Have you solved your case?
KenMacEachern
Frequent Advisor

No, the problem still exists. My cluster still shows as orphans.
htulumba
Advisor

Have you ESX or ESXi hosts? Which os and agent version? Which ProLiant type?
KenMacEachern
Frequent Advisor

My servers are a mix of BL460c G1, BL465c G5, BL480c G1 and DL365 G1 running ESXi 4 and 3.5.

The cluste is all 465s running ESXi 4 (but they were originally 3.5)

I have a second cluster that did work (480s with ESXi 4) but when I add two nodes to it the new ones remain as orphans.
htulumba
Advisor

Have you installed the software HP ESXi 3.5 update 4 CIM Providers version 2.01.11 Update CD?

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3682822&swItem=MTX-3b1f5654f0eb47a1a3b96697e9&prodNameId=3682823&swEnvOID=4025&swLang
=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

HP has fixed an issue in which the UUID returned by HP├Г┬в├В ├В s Common Information Model (CIM) providers does not match the UUID returned by iLO. This issue causes HP-SIM (System Insight Manager) to be unable to properly associate the server with its corresponding iLO component, which also causes several side affects within HP-SIM. This issue is resolved in release 2.01.11.

This ISO updates the HP Common Information Model (CIM) providers on ESXi 3.5 U4. This ISO updates HP CIM Providers from 2.01.10 to 2.01.11. Note: This CD does not support upgrades on ESX, only ESXi.
htulumba
Advisor

Have you solved your case?