New Discussion

Re: Smartarray GUI for ESXi / vCenter?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christoph Bisping
Regular Advisor

Smartarray GUI for ESXi / vCenter?

Hi!

I'm trying to do some first steps with vSphere (5.5 / 6.0) on an old DL580 G5 server and so far, everything works quite fine besides the fact that I find it quite "uncomfortable" to manage the storage array (integrated P400i) using hpssacli command line utility.

Is there any way to use a GUI (vCenter integrated or stand alone) in order to manage all aspects of the array configuration and/or monitor its health?

I've seen HP's Insight Control, running on a Windows 2008 server and that would be exactly what I want ... but of course, this won't work on an ESXi host...

Thanks for any help!

Christoph

5 REPLIES 5
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

the solution is here if I have understand correctly your request :

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/business-solutions/converged-systems/oneview.html

it's exactly like Insight control with more options and take in charge Vmwra vCenter

Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hello Christoph,

The servers you mentioned does not support version 5.5 or 6.0, supports till version 5.1.

HP Insight Control is basically a monitoring and management tool details below.

Core Module : Provides the framework required by the Server Module for vCenter and Storage Module for vCenter.

Server Module: for vCenter Provides server hardware management capabilities, including comprehensive monitoring, firmware update, ESX/ESXi image deployment, remote control, Virtual Connect, and power optimization for HP servers in the VMware environment.

Storage Module :for vCenter Provides storage configuration and status information for mapping VMs, datastores, and hosts to LUNs on HP storage arrays. Supports provisioning on HP P6000 EVA, P4000, and P2000 G3 MSA arrays. Supported provisioning tasks include creating, expanding, or deleting a datastore, and creating or cloning a VM.

There is no GUI App which you can manage on ESX/ESXi, vCenter.

Thanks,

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Christoph Bisping
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your fast replies. So I guess, OneView is what I'm looking for. I always thought it is meant for managing vSAs only ;-)
But as I see, current version doesn't support vSphere 6 yet. So I'll wait until it's available.

@indus: Is HP Insight Control still available for vSphere or has it been replaced by OneView?
Jags_21
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Christoph,

HP Insight Control version 7.3 is available for vsphere upto version 5.5 (initial release)

from version 7.4 it is HP Oneview which is more robust and very flexible, but with present HP oneview releases there is limitation on the server models which it can support and G5 servers are not supported.

Thanks, 

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Christoph Bisping
Regular Advisor

Ok, now I understand ... Then I'll have to stick to the cmdline way (or try Hyper-V).