Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - VMware
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWARE ESXi and ACU- How to expand an Array?

SOLVED
Go to solution
WFPL4E
Advisor

VMWARE ESXi and ACU- How to expand an Array?

I have an HP BL680C and other production servers using 2 X 146GB SAS drives in RAID 1, on which I installed VMWARE ESXi. Running short of disk space, I rebuilt my Array with 300GB SAS drives. So far, everything is working fine, I did not have to interrupt my production software, but the problem is that I do not know how to expand my Array to 300GB? – How can I install the ACU Software and expand the Array without shutting down my servers? (I have done the same thing on Windows and it was very smooth, I hope I can do the same with VMWARE ESXi. Please advise. Thanks
3 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VMWARE ESXi and ACU- How to expand an Array?

As this is ESXi there is no console to install software into. So although there's a Linux variant of the ACU, there nowhere to install it to.
Not sure you're going to be able to do that other than a reboot and use the onboard FW to do this.
Using local disk is okay for a small ESX/ESXi implementation but if you're going to grow it you really need to look at remote storage, SAN, iSCSI etc.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I don't think you can do advanced SmartArray management functions with the on-motherboard software, but the SmartStart CD has a version of ACU that should be more capable:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3454580&prodNameId=3562397&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-ff528c1bc8434a01b314485325
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Go for the SmartStart bootable. Run ACU from here.

Remember on the newer controllers you will be required a licens to expand arrays.

(Depending on the Gx version of you blade)

Regards