6207 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMWare storage migration

kuay5
Occasional Contributor

VMWare storage migration

Hi All,

First of all, how do i log a VMWare support case with HP???? We buy our support through HP but i cannot find it in the options when i try to call or email?

Ok i have some queries.

I am planning to migrate some VMs from a EMC clariion storage to our new EVA storage. The issue is this, these VMs are now in Vcenter cluster A. The EVA will be managed by another Cluster.

I am thinking of a better way to migrate the VMs over to the EVA. Of course i can just manually copy the VMs over. but this might take some thing if i do it through my PC.

So i am thinking of utilizing storage VMotion.

Question: If i remove a server from a Cluster and join it to another cluster, what will happen to the VMs it is hosting? I am thinking of joining the existing ESX to the new cluster and vmotioning them over.
5 REPLIES 5
UK-Blr
Frequent Advisor

Option1:

Present new LUNs from EVA to the existing esx servers and keeing the existing vcenter server with new LUN numbers (preferable, but not a requisite, as the new EVA storage will have different CTL). Rescan all esx servers and format the LUNs as a new datastore. Do the storage vmotion for the vms to be moved. Once storage vmotion is complete, disconnect the esx server from vcenter cluster and click remove the host option.

Now login to vcenter server, create a new cluster and add the esx server. All the esx and vms are up and running.. no downtime required.

Option 2:
If you dont want to do storage vmotion and ready to take downtime for vms, then using the vmware converter migrate all the vms to a new datastore (LUNs from EVA). Once all vms are migrated, and for your satisfaction, put the esx servers in maintenance mode and remove them from the existing lcuster and reboot. Once esx is up, add them in the new vcenter server.

When the esx and vms are up and running, there will be no impact to move to a different cluster. I dont recommend copying the vmdk from emc to eva manually, better use vmware converter.
kuay5
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. Option 1 is that one i am looking at, just wasn't sure what will happen to the VMs if i remove the ESX from the vcenter cluster.

Ok i'll try option 1 then.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello, to your question "First of all, how do i log a VMWare support case with HP???? We buy our support through HP but i cannot find it in the options when i try to call or email?"

You have to receive SA ID from HP and create ITRC account and link SA ID to it, the use Support Case Manager in ITRC.HP.COM to create cases...

Jan
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

as jan already mentioned, after recieving the "SA ID" you need to link your SAID in the "Support Case Manager" on your ITRC phorum, them wou will be able to open a call, for your product.

mikap
kuay5
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jan, yes i have linked my SAID to my acc. Anyway i have also managed to log a case with HP. Thanks all.