New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMware View versus XenDesktop

SOLVED
Go to solution
'chris'
Super Advisor

VMware View versus XenDesktop

Hi

We would like to virtualize all of our 450 clients.
Our server are already virtualized on ESX server.
Now we should decide if we will use VMware View or XenDesktop for all our clients.
What are the advantages and disadvantages?
7 REPLIES 7
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

'chris'
Super Advisor

Thx, but what about VMware View or XenDesktop over WAN (MPLS or VPN Internet)?

BTW Has someone already use VMware View or XenDesktop over WAN and would like report his experience?
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

some month ago i was on a Vmware conference, there was presented a offline VDI, that means, on your notebook, there will be a hypervisor installed, that will run your VDI image, and each time, and if you are connected to the internet, you could be able to sync the image between your VDI image in the company and your running inside your hypervisor.

I think i could be run also with MPLS, but its depend on the amount of data transfered between the notebook and corporate VDI enviroment.

VMWARE :

http://www.vmware.com/products/view/faqs.html

"VMware Offline Desktop for experimental use"

http://vimeo.com/1794517 == > check the video

XEN :

http://thevirtualdc.com/?p=136

mikap
'chris'
Super Advisor

Thx, but how much bandwith need VMware View and XenDesktop normally,
just to compare.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Thx, but how much bandwith need VMware View and XenDesktop normally,
just to compare.

hi chris,

sorry but i don;t have this information, the best way how to find it out is to build some test infrastrucutre, i'm sure if you ask HP / IBM / DELL or other vendor, they will be able to borrow some HW equipment for test purpose.

mikap
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

How much bandwidth you need will depend on what you're trying to do over that link. Video / Graphics versus static content.

If you're talking about a WAN infrastructure then you would need to check out the two competing protocols. VMware is now using PCoIP and Citrix uses HDX.
PCoIP is meant to throttle back and will provide a lower level of graphic over slow links.
If you have a lot of remote sites over slow links then you'll need to carefully evaluate these as I believe the two protocols do work differently.
Also, if you're providing desktops to external users, then PCoIP does not yet work via the security (external) view server.
'chris'
Super Advisor

Hi Rob

You said:
"""If you're talking about a WAN infrastructure then you would need to check out the two competing protocols. VMware is now using PCoIP and Citrix uses HDX."""

ICA is the protocol used for XenDesktop, HDX is not a protocol but more a set a features that run over ICA.

greetings
chris