Operating System - VMware
1752664 Members
5762 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

VSAN Disk Failures DL380 Gen 10 Servers -Procedure to give Support what they need

Kevin4
Advisor

VSAN Disk Failures DL380 Gen 10 Servers -Procedure to give Support what they need

I have several disk failures on my VSAN cluster in the past year, not a big deal but getting support to sometimes send another drive is problematic.   I noticed that when a drive failures, it disappears from the host inside vmware.  I go in the ILO and it dissappears completely.   I don't see events where the drive failed, just VMWare events.   I send support the logs from the host and the ILO logs and they don't see where the drives fail.   

Being I have dedupe and compression enabled, I know I must delete the disk group and recreate it.  But after I delete the disk group, reboot the server and all, I don't always see the failed light come on.

Why do the drives disappear in the ILO once they failed?    luckily the drives are installed together so I can see that one is missing.

I am using DL380 Gen 10s if that matters.

How does everyone else do drive failures in their VSAN Clusters

2 REPLIES 2
Sanilk
HPE Pro

Re: VSAN Disk Failures DL380 Gen 10 Servers -Procedure to give Support what they need

Hi Kevin ,

Refer the following VMWARE guide to verify the VSAN compatibile Driver and firmware with the storage controller

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsan

At the time of the disks are disappearing from the ILO  , what is the Physical status of the Failed Drive/Drives in the front panel of the server ?

In vSAN, components that have failed can be in absent or degraded state. According to the component state, vSAN uses different approaches for recovering virtual machine data.

vSAN also provides alerts about the type of component failure

Kindly referthe following document from VMWARE ;

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.vsan-monitoring.doc/GUID-3863B640-3449-46A2-84E0-AC07E5A604FD.html

If this a real failure , IML will show the failed disk alerts in IML .Is there any failure alerts are showing in the Integrated Management Logs  ?

If you are experiencing intermittent Disk failures ,  HPE needs to investigate this issue in deeper with the logs . So kindly go ahead and log a case with HPE and share the logs (AHS logs, VM-Support logs etc.).

Parallely involve the VMWARE to investigate from their side as well for ny VSAN related issues .

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Sanilk
HPE Pro

Re: VSAN Disk Failures DL380 Gen 10 Servers -Procedure to give Support what they need

Hi Kevin ,

Good Day .

Hope that the shared informations are useful  to you .

Kindly reply back if you have further queries  or go ahead and log a case with HPE with the logs as the server is under warranty support .

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo