4159 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vmotion

m.jamali
Advisor

Vmotion

hi..
i have a 2 server.both of them instaled esx.4 with some application.
how can i Vmotion this server's.
17 REPLIES 17
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

??
You cannot "vmotion a physical server".

VMotion transfers an active, running virtual machine from one running ESX server to a different running ESX server, provided that all technical requirements are met.

One of the requirements is to have a VMkernel IP interface on each ESX server that is enabled for VMotion traffic.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

You also need the same CPU in both servers.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

EVC relaxes this requirement a bit.
m.jamali
Advisor

hi dear...
thanks for answer....
can you complete explaine about vmotion.i don't have a expereance about vmotion.thank you for help.
have a good time.
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

A good place to start would be the http://www.vmware.com/ site. Also, search Google for key words like:
vmware, vmotion, introduction

First few hits on Google include a number of youtube videos that purport to talk about VMware Vmotion.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

you have 2 ESX server, running various VMs
and you want to move 1 VM from one ESX machine to other
If this is what you looking for

right click on machine there is a option vmotion select the destination machine and hit OK it would move the VM to to other machine.
If vMotion was not configured properly before you would get the error and u can fix it up.
VM would not be affected it would keep on running.

If you want to learn how VMOTION works you would like to see vmware knowledgebase.

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
m.jamali
Advisor

realy thanks.
Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

You should have vsphere installed to assist in vmotion functionality.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Not sure what you are trying to say, but EVC is present in ESX 3.5 (Virtual Infrastructure) and VMotion is much older - I've used it in ESX 2.5.

Of course, for new installations it makes sense to use ESX 4 - which m.jamali does, if you reread the first paragraph.